HRT & dairy intolerance

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I'm 49 and have been having peri menopausal symptoms for past few years.

Night sweats; flushing; lethargy; lack of interest; insomnia; mood swings; loss of concentration; poor hair & skin quality. To be fair my actual periods were getting less heavy and less painful. They were more or less regular give or take a week. 

Last year after trying anti depressants (which did nothing) GP agreed to put me on HRT.

The first one I tried was 1mg Ellestra Duet which eased most symptoms but not quite the night sweats so it was upped to the 2mg dose. I felt like a new woman! Really positive, sleeping well, energy enough to exercise. Felt like I'd been given a wonder drug. Half way through the first packet the problems starts. Stomach cramps and urgency to open bowels... OK I'll cope with this. Then it started to get really bad. Within 20/30 mins of eating I would have to go irrespective of where I was and it was virtually liquid - not great when your out hiking!!!

Returned to GP and was swapped to Femiston. Some bowel disruption but ended up with  3 week period. 

Returned to GP and asked to try patches - have had patch on one week. This morning within 20mins of having cereal for breakfast, got agonising cramps, fainted, then had liquid diarrhoea & vomiting. 

Im thinking the only way forward is HRT and dairy free diet. Any suggestions?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Joycie 

oh dear this sounds dreadful..

hope some ladies reply to you, i cant help you as never taken HRT but I am post menopause 

hope you feel better soon .. Bless ya 

big hugs 

jay x

• Posted

Hi, that sounds dreadful surely that can't be ok, so the GP gives you something to help and causes another problem. I don't take HRT, but I know lots of ladies on the forum do, who might be able to help. Poor you.
  • Posted

Thanks ladies. GP not heard of anyone having diarrhoea on HRT so was hoping that posting on a forum might be more informative. GP is really helpful just not sure what to do. 
    • Posted

Hi joyce 

i dont take HRT but i did have bouts of upset tummy for months, it was the magnesium i was taking, dont know if you take any..

always in the morning i would be running to the loo 😵

i changed to the chelated magnesium as doesnt not upset tummy.

i was taking magnesium oxide ( the cheaper) and oxide and magnesium Citrate has laxative effects..

only a thought incase you recently started any additional supplements 

hope all gets better for you

jay x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.