HRT : Femoston 1/10 mg; Patient reviews on effectiveness & side effects please!!!

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi ladies

I am 45 years old and around December 17 (infact just after my 45 birthday) started perimenopausal symptoms. I am still having my periods (albeit most short and usually non heavy but with clotting over the last 2 months:

Headaches

crying spells

Joint aches and pains

Apathy and fatigue

Disturbed sleep pattern waking 1/2 per night

Eye and mouth ie itchy gums

Weight loss/and loss of appetite

Dry hair & skin

low mood etc

(no hot flashes yet!!)

The list goes on..........

After a bit of a battle I was been prescribed Femoston 1/10mg  by my GP on 16/02/18. I'm concerned about the risks and side effects of using these and have checked this site for more up to date information from ladies who are also beginning/using or have come off this medication. I would really appreciate some real experiences from others about Femonston and the pros and cons of taking and whether they have needed to change to something else and what please.

I have been referred to community gyneacology and hope that they will give to me patches instead.

Hrt is very new to me and I am nervous in using but desparate  to get back to some normality to work and raise my 9 year old daughter.

Really would appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Elaine

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear Ladies,

I just wanted to check-in and hopefully recieve some advice from those of you on my journey thus far with Femonston. I nearly through the 14 days of oestrogen and definately experiencing breast tenderness. Headaches albeit mild have been daily and some cramps occurring in the Abdominal area. Having read the patient information leaflet these are some of the side effects. I due my period around the 7th March so this I will when I'm into the progestrone tablets... I wondered whether if once I've done the full 28 day cycle of tablets that a bleed would occur or whether my regular period would continue around 7/3 ?

My sleeping has slightly improved with less disruption average 9pm to 5.30 am/sometimes 6am. A slight increase of energy but inbetween low dips. Still feeling teary and with some mild anixety.

I guess its just still to early and given I wonder if the tablets just take longer than the patches. Has anyone swapped to patches part way through tablets?

Thanks in advance.

• Posted

Would really appreciate any feedback regarding headaches and dizziness whilst using Femoston. I'm now onto the grey tablets but have had a set back with interrupted sleep and not being able to get back to sleep and quite intense headaches with dizziness has anyone experienced the same ?

• Posted

Hi elaine

That was exactly like me. It does get better, not perfect but better. I usually get my headaches around day 8 of my cycle (day 5 of the estrogen tablets) they last a few days and paracetamol helps. Please note your cycle may not be the same as mine.

My sleep also goes alittle off at this time.

• Posted

Hi Zoe

Many thanks for your reply. Wow yesterday evening its was a scary wave of dizziness and headache that came over me I just had to get to bed. Yes, I was wondering if my normal cycle will continue (due to this week) or will this now change because of the intoduction of hrt ? Just when you think there's a break through like you sleeping pattern coming back to normal it takes a U-turn!!

Interesting having seen my gyneacologist yesterday and then my GP today he was more ameinable and offered should I need it to increase femonston to 2/10mg !! Stark difference from early Feburary he was not prepared to give me anything!

How long did you stay on 1/10 before increasing to 2/10 Zoe and what results did you see first following the increase - sorry about the questions but this is such a mind field!

Sounds that your sypmtoms maybe under control ?

Take care.

• Posted

I took Femoston 1 /10 for 3months then had a review . I noted that I was still fatigued and that this dropped my mood. The nurse felt alittle more estrogen might help. So far so good. Yes, I still am tired but not fatigued. I just make sure I have a good bedtime routine and drink plenty of fluids.
  • Posted

Hi Elaine 

I'm new to the site and just been diagnosed with low ostragen I'm aged 48 a few weeks ago I had severe brain fog breathlessness and anxiety out of the blue then I had a period my cycles have changed to about 6-7 weeks and I missed a period in Jan. Doctor has prescribed Femiston 1/10 I have taken for five days and am still feeling anxious early am and early hrs and spaced out do these tablets actually work I also have a bad stomach any advice would be much appreciated I have been off work for two weeks already thanks Nicola 

• Posted

Hi Elaine

I've in my first month of taking them and touch wood so far so good. I've never felt better albeit I know it's only been a short time. The symptoms I had before was sleepless nights, hot flushes, itchiness (at a certain time of day but consistent) periods of here and there and very heavy, this all went on for over a year and I finally relented and went to my GP to discuss when is the right time to start hrt. She sympathized and said I should have come in earlier but I thought I could this naturally. Alas didn't work hence I've started. Yay is all I say. I'm not on any other contraception and not taking anything else so I'm not sure if taking anything else interferes with it. I haven't bled yet but was told to expect bleeding. Have to wait and see. Good luck with your decision but only you will what's right for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.