Hrt for life?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi Ladies!

The more I read about meno and the long term consequences for our health due to the lack of estrogen the more I believe that we cannot survive without our hormones.

I am on hrt and recently I was told that it’s up to me for how long I will use them. I am convinced that there is no an easy way to stop taking them.

My body will deteriorate faster without hrt and I don’t find that it is a good idea.  I feel that if you start hrt it is forever, you cannot just stop, your body depends on it! Any ideas? 

3 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think this is a very individual thing. My sister is years post-menopause and is doing fantastic - no HRT. Not haninf has a tough menopause and not everyone ‘needs’ HRT.  But I think it’s fantastic it’s available for those who choose it.

What I don’t like (and, sadly have seen too many times on other forums),  is when women scare those going through peri and meno into expecting they are going to fall apart completely during menopause. Or scare them about health issues they may or may not face.  My sister was blissfully ignorant (in a good way) about menopause and hasn’t had any real issues.

I embrace live and let live - to each his own. I’ve seen and heard of both positive and negative experiences on HRT. It’s a mix of everything you can imagine!   It is not an elixir of youth nor is it going to replace a great diet, exercising, and overall healthy and clean living.

The most important point is we all have a choice and that’s wonderful!! Blessings to all you ladies! 

• Posted

Thank you for replying br 350.

I personally had a very hard time a year ago, I am only 42, so hrt is a necessity for me.

I have friends who went through meno easily and without severe problems or health issues.

My body doesn’t produce any estrogen and I simply cannot survive without.

• Posted

Definitely you have to do what works for you!! I would never argue otherwise. I’m glad you’re on the path that’s right for you! smile
  • Posted

Dear Vicky

You are wise to go for HRT if that is your choice.  It was mine too and I've been on it for 18 years without problems.  Despite what another person writes, it is very obvious to me those of my age (late 60s) who are on HRT and those who are not.  It makes a tremendous difference to one's skin, hair, vaginal lubrication and libido.  There are evidence-based research papers on it. There is a paper that found that female gynaecologists and the partners of male gynaecologists are high users of HRT - I think that it was a European study.  Also female physicians in the US are high users.  If it weren't so great, most of us would have stopped.  You will see from this forum that there are many women who have difficultly in getting it prescribed.  That's because of the conservative views of usually male doctors.  All the best in your journey.   Lyn

• Posted

Very well said lyn 82834 I agree with all you say. I have taken HRT for 7 years now best thing ever for me. It's your quality of life that is important for me. I was effected Post meno, 

• Posted

Thanks Mars.  I appreciate your supportive comments.  

Best wishes Lyn

• Posted

Thank you lyn!!!

Nice to hear that you use hrt long term and you feel great! Are you on estrogen only?

I’d like for later to ask for a hysterectomy to reduce more the risks but my gyn is adamant! He said no way! 

The more I read the more I am convinced that our body cannot survive without estrogen...

Have you seen Menopause Barbie on you tube? She is fabulous!!! smile

• Posted

Hello Vicky

I was on progesterone until May last year when I had a hysterectomy as there was endometrial thickening which showed hyperplasia on pathology after surgery, so not cancer.  I must say that I had an easy ride after the hysterectomy - no problems at all.  I did look after myself very well as I tend to do so there was no lifting, hanging out washing or bending.  I've not seen Menopause Barbie but I'll take a look.

If you have regular gynae checks to ensure that the endometrium is not thickening then there may be no need for a hysterectomy.  I had a total hysterectomy so ovaries removed but haven't missed them as HRT takes care of that.  All the best, Lyn

• Posted

I am on HRT gel for 10weejs now following a total hysterectomy with positive effectiveness therefore if I continue to not have problems as per gynaecologist say so I will stay no to or life.
    • Posted

Thanks for replying! Can I ask your age?  Your gyn suggests that you can stay on it for life? 
  • Posted

I'm on HRT and I have decided to Cut my tablets in half. Instead of a full tablet I just take half been doing this a few months now and there in no change in the way I am. No hot flushes so well please I decided to half the dose. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.