HRT gels.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking hormone gels compounded by a pharmacy in Pennsylvania for 14 months. 6 weeks ago I developed a vaginal yeast infection that will not go away. I took 3 rounds of diflucan which did not help. I read where HRT therapy can cause yeast infections. Has anyone had this problem? Thanks

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maryanne HRT can course changes and problems.Are you sure it's a yeast infection? I asking as I thought the same for me but it turned out to be dryness which is sooooo uncomfortable particularly as my sport is road cycling.

My doc suggested Aqeuos cream (not sure if it's called the same in the US)which you use as a moisturiser on your bits and peices and as a shower wash. Even the feminine washes irritated me you see.

This has worked for me but I realise my bits need more delicate care as a result of being on HRT 

Hope it helps 

Debs 

• Posted

Sounds more like vaginal atrophy, very common in menopause, tissues in that area start to thin, and dryness and soreness, not to mention itching, can all be a problem, I to thought mine was thrush, treated it as such and no improvement.

you could try a good vaginal moisturiser such as replete, silk or vagisan, or better still get some local oestrogen such as vagifem from your doctor .

• Posted

Hi I've been docs with the very symptoms that Maryanne describes. The doc has said the tissues area is thin dry and sore as you've discribed in your reply to her.My docs given me some vagifem and progesterone tabs to take day 12 to 26 to support the HRT patche I am already on.

My question is what's your experience re your symptoms vagifem and where you prescribe progesterone? I'm struggling a bit with my symptoms and the fact I feel like my bits and pieces don't feel like my own if you get my drift and because I feel like a walking pharmacy.......basically I'm fed up with it all and feel tempted to scrap everything....I want to feel normal again and not have my uncomfortable 😣 sore regions.

ive only had 2 lots of the vagifem so far and the progesterone starts tonight. 

would appreciate your thoughts Thankyou.

• Posted

Hi,

I was diagnosed with vaginal atrophy a year and a half ago. I had fibroid tumors as well which lead to a hysterectomy in Feb. of 2016. I am still taking the bioidentical hormones as well as Femdophilus, a probiotic and Ellura, a cranberry supplement along with Vitamin D.

I have used a vaginal Valium suppository which helps somewhat. I also use either mineral oil or prescription Lotrimin and adult Balmex on the outer region. It helps with the soreness.

I see my Dr. in late June & I will ask him if I can get blood work done to see if these bioidentical hormones are still necessary.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Deb50, it's miserable isn't it, not a nice time in our lives.

if you are using a patch, you should have progesterone along side, unless you've had a hysterectomy, progesterone protects the lining if the uterus and prevents it building up too much.

I have a Mirena coil as the progesterone part of my HRT regime, and use oestrogel alongside it.

For the VA I now use and estring internally, which lasts for 3 months  and delivers constant oestrogen to the vagina to plump things up and help prevent the symptoms of VA

i gate to be the bearer of bad news, but VA is yet another symptom of low oestrogen, and 'scrapping everything' would probably make things worse not better, we aren't ever going to make our own oestrogen again.

persevere with the vagifem, I presume you are on daily for two weeks as a loading dose?… give it time 

• Posted

Thankyou for your reply.

ive not had a hysterectomy but I do have a fibroid which isn't being checked !!!?. The doc started me on the patches 18 months ago as my mood was low headaches restless sleep etc I'm sure you know the drill lol. I've been fine on the patches except for this dryness which was mistacken by me for a few months as thrush/ bv.

Now the docs said she feels because of the dryness I need more oestrogen and progesterone therefore she gave me the vagifem and progesterone tablets.

She told me to have the vagifem x3 times a week but like you've mentioned it says on the vagifem leaflet to have it nightly for the first 2 weeks......unsure what to do on that one. Plus the progesterone tablets I've realised I've missed the 12 day marker for starting them this month so I need to start them next month on day 12......what a palarva. 😏 I feel like I'm falling apart 

• Posted

I know how you feel. I hope the medications work. My Dr. told me this atrophy is very common in post-menopausal women. None of my friends who are my age have these problems.

I see my Dr. in a few weeks. Hopefully, he will run blood tests to see if the estrogen level has increased.

Regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.