HRT & Mirena coil

Posted , 4 users are following.

Been on evorel sequi since last March, started on 1 patch then went up to 1 and a half patches. the problem is before this i was on the pill for a long time to regulate and lighten periods. since ive came off it for hrt my period has progressively got longer and heavier. been bleeding since 22 december. had examination and all clear so think its too much oestrogen but the problem is if i reduce my patches my perimenopause symptoms kick-in big time. the main one being lethargy and also emotional, low mood as well as a load of others. tried mini pill to see if it would help but its not working. doc wants me to have the mirena coil but dont fancy it at all, but i cant go on bleeding like this. looking for anyone else thats been in this situation and just to see what they think of the coil. thanks, i know that was a bit long winded!

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I don't have any experience of the coil personally but I know that it has been super helpful for my friend who was on it who was bleeding a lot. The other thing to consider, if you're sensing that it's too much oestrogen, is to really work on helping the liver to become super efficient. Ways that you can do that are eliminating as much processed food and alcohol as possible and then getting yourself off the blood sugar roller coaster by considering something like Intermittent Fasting (but done in a way that is gentle, not aggressive). Green veg and bitter foods are excellent for supporting the liver too and you might want to look into DIM or Oestrogen Detox supplements. Sending you lots of love and hope you find a solution soon.

• Posted

The coil was a game-changer for me. 6 years ago, I was bleeding so heavily for over 2 months requiring blood transfusion. Multiple biopsies came back normal and went on high dosage of progesterone. The bleeding stopped. Had the mirena put it and have had no periods since then. Am now 55 and post menopausal for 4 years. My gyn says I can keep the mirena in for 7 years now and it gives me a small dose of progesterone. Wish I had put it in my mid 40s and not gone through all the heavy bleeding and clotting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.