HRT no longer seems to be helping...!

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am desperate...48 years old and have been on HRT (Estrogel, bio-identical estradiol cream, and progesterone, Utrogestan, 200 mg) for the past five years. I use Estrogel day 5-25 of cycle and progesterone day 15-25. I was put on them not because I was displaying signs of peri-menopause, but because of adrenal fatigue. However, in the past couple of months, my periods have been acting really strangely...I had my last normal period in June, then nothing in July, and now I have started bleeding again but very sparsely compared to my usual periods (heavy bleeding for about a week). 

But the worst thing is the hot flashes causing me to be drenched in sweat. I wake up in the middle of the night and it feels like I'm taking a bath; during the day, I can start sweating anytime, even in front of people. It makes me feel awful and has almost turned me into a recluse:-(

Has anyone experienced that HRT is not (no longer) helping? I have an appointment soon with the doctor who prescribed the hormones, but it's always helpful to her about other people's experiences...I don't know if synthetic hormones are more powerful? Or could an increase be all I need...?

Normally, when women complain about problems like mine, the advice is to go on HRT if nothing else (supplements etc) helps. My problem is that HRT no longer seems to be helping...!

I have read about women starting to have these problems when they were about my age and still suffering from them well into their 60s...I cannot imagine having to live like this for another 10-15 years.

If anyone has gone through the same thing and been helped, please share your experiences with me!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi catarina, I started on HRT just b4 my periods finished, but a few years down the road i had terrible hot sweats like you even when out ! Embarasing as it would run down my face. I went bk to my GP he put me on a different one a higher dose, after a week or so i was not having the sweats anymore. I know people worry about HRT but like you i just couldn't live like it, I have since been bk to my GP & had to have them put up again as sweats anxiety hit me ugh! Now i am just fine. I do have regular checks, i had to come off of them in March due to hysteroscopy & removal of polyp all was fine. I was off the HRT for 9 weeks after 6 wks sweats & anxiety was awful, all ok now. I am 63 & cannot imagine not being on Hrt, i will be dropping to a lower dose in 3 month's to see how i cope,  let me know how you go? Good luck.

• Posted

I was on Livial for 12 years when it stopped working , saw my doctor who changed  me to another . That was okay for a few months then that stopped working . Back to the doctor again who put me back to the original one , I stayed on this for another year then developed endiometrial cancer . Had treatment then last year it returned so I had a radical hysterectomy and I am now on chemotherapy and will follow with radiotherapy . I don't think there was any link with the cancer and taking HRT , I was just unlucky . xx

• Posted

That's quite a different sort of HRT regime. But apparently it helped with your adrenal gland production.  While the original RX wasn't for peri symptoms, at 48 your slowing ovaries may not be enough for your system.   

Possibly adjusting your HRT might help, but nothing will stop your ovaries from aging or stopping their own production. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.