HRT or go down the natural route?!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 47 and am waiting to have a hysterectomy (removal of everything).

I've tried to do lots of research into pros and cons...of taking HRT and it's a minefield! My SIster had a hysterectomy 2 years ago and has piled on the weight and so have other people I know that are on HRT. I'm thinking that I'd like to do down the natural route ie: try to get as much natural oestrogen from things like flaxseed etc and maybe natural supplements... I'm fit and healthy, I do lots of strength training to keep my bones strong and have a good diet, I don't smoke but do enjoy a glass of wine at the weekend. if I were to go on HRT do you not have to come off it at some point anyway...so wouldn't I go through the menopause anyway?! Something I don't want...I'd rather go through it now rather than postpone it. Any advice would be gratefully received - thank you in advance

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'd been on hrt for about 8ish yr after my hysterectomy. Came off hrt last March and just recently like I said I've become very emotional and stressed easily but not sure if that's menopause or just me . I'm not normally a stressful lady but having magor issues with my daughter in law with her been pregnant and bipolar.

• Posted

Oh no, I hope it all sorts itself out... I'm still researching whether or not to go down the HRT route...

• Posted

Oestrogen only HRT has minimal health risks - even less if you use patches of gels, rather than tablets.  If you're in the UK, google for "NICE hrt risks and benefits".  I've been on oestrogen patches for about 10 years now (I'm 60) - I had a hysterectomy years ago but they left my ovaries, so didn't need to start then.  I haven't put on any extra weight and feel good on it.  I did try to come off, over a year ago now but felt so bad I decided to continue - to me the benefits outweigh the risks.  There's another thread on here that discusses that at length:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/forced-off-hrt-at-60--226242

Some women seem to sail through the menopase with few issues - others like myself seem to struggle without oestrogen.  It's your choice, at the end of the day, so good luck with your operation and whatever you decide to do abou HRT.

• Posted

My gp came to see me and discuss hrt today and ive decided to go

back on hrt. I felt ok last time, I can't see it being any difference.

I didn't but weight on or any side effects.

Should help me deal with my daughter in law, when she apologise

for her behaviour towards me. Just cause she as bipolar

and at the moment she's taking everything out on me, that doesn't

give her the right . For 3 weeks she's been abusive and very rude

• Posted

Ohhhh that doesn't sound terribly fair for you Daughter in Law to behave in that way towards you...Maybe going back on HRT may help you cope, as you may be less emotional and not so stressed out? Hope it resolves itself...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.