HRT PATCHES MY GP HAS TAKEN ME OFF THEM AFTER 5 MONTHS

Posted , 7 users are following.

Morning one and all and a Merry Christmas to you all. I have been on HRT patches Evorel Conti for 5 months doing well no more hot sweats which I have had for 10 years. I went to see my GP this week and told her that for the last 5 weeks i have been bleeding on and off. My GP has told me to stop taking them straight away, well I am just gutted, to say the least. I have an app to see the Gynecologist today the app came through very quickly so I am very pleased about that. We never know what is around the corner. I just do not know what the hell is going on with me. I took a urine sample into her and I am clear, but she is sending it away.  Something very strange going on, before I have to pee I get this strange pain, then after my stomach aches for ages. I have had a Hysteroscopy before. My head at this time well you guys can imagine. My Gp said it could be one of two things. 1. My HRT patches or it may be cancerous cells. I have read that so many women have spotting, but my Gp said that I should not bleed at all.  I just got into our car and cried. It has taken me 10 years to go on HRT patches, as I could not go on them before was getting Migraines, have not had one in ages. My GP would not put me on HRT patches before as she said it may have caused a stroke. Have any of you ladies been through anything like this?. Would be great to hear from you if you. x 

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello, you must be so worried , I've been on hrt for just 10 days and my gp told me to expect bleeding and spotting so I would have thought its all part of the process. I wonder if you have an urinary tract infection. Best wishes

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi there.

I had to come off the patches too. I started bleeding after about 6 weeks if bring in the patches (hadn’t had a period for 2 years!!!) I then started bleeding regularly every 2 weeks! Complete nightmare! I then had hospital appointment for various scans.. all ok except a small fibroid. My dr said that the bleeding was a side effect if the HRT patches and things should improve after 5/6 months. I carried on bleeding so after being on the patches for nearly  8 months decided to come off them to see if the bleeding would stop & sure enough it did! However some if the menopause symptoms are starting to return!! 😕 so difficult to know what to do! I take sage which has actually helped the night sweats

I hope you manage to get some answers. 

Take care.

Angela

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, first of all, don’t panic! I know it’s easier said than done, but wait and see what your Gynaecologist has to say before going into melt down. I have been on estalis continuous patches for 10 years. 50/140.Over this time I’ve had about 3-4 episodes of spotting. Each time I’ve had an ultrasound and on two occasions a  hysteroscopy. Every time thankfully all has been fine

Each time this has happened it seems to coincide with travelling and sleeping tablets. Both altering the way your body responds. If I take a half a sleeping tablet for jet lag for more than 4 days it appears to induce spotting! Very weird but more than coincidental. If you are late a couple of times putting on your patch this may also happen. Perhaps you need a stronger/milder dose as this can also have an effect. 

I hope all works out well for you. Best regards

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi, guys thank you for your comments, I had my test yesterday and everything is fine. Fantastic news, my Gynecologist thought it was my HRT patches, I asked him if I could go back on them to which he replied I dodo not see why not, just what I wanted to hear.  so I  have gone back on them for now until I see my GP this month and I will fill her in, I asked my GP if i was only bleeding once a month would that be a problem and my GP said yes. I did not bleed for first few months, i am on other meds but i doubt that would be why i have been bleeding. My GP may lower the dose. I am on  3.2mg Estradol and hemihydrate 11.2mg norethisterone acetate. I know so many bleed on theses Evorel-Conti patches and it is quite normal,   I want to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a bleed-free new year xx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Daywalker, It is normal to spot/bleed when using HRT especially Evorel (notorious for this) It can take months to settle down. I have been using them for 14 years for flushes and various other things.. your GP has used scare mongering tactics.. and she should read up on the NICE guidelines! The top Gyno's have said it is perfectly safe to use for as long as you need it. I cut my Evorel patch in half and found that worked really well for me. Always use the lowest dose you can away with.. and don't worry it's all normal!  Your tummy troubles are probably caused by the HRT and stress. I have some very weird symptoms sometimes, then they go away. If you are not happy with Evorel there are other HRT brands you can try.. don't let your GP dictate what you do, it's YOUR body!  I do hope this has helped. Patti

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up