HRT - Paying for Prescription

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello

I have just been prescribed HRT, which has two medications - I have been informed that I will have a double prescription charge for this. My cousin who lives in Warwickshire, I live in West Midlands, has her HRT for free. Is there anyway to get HRT for free, if I am supposed to be on it for the rest of my life!! :roll:

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sadly the usual rules concerning paying for prescriptions apply to HRT. I hope you can get your dr to prescribe several months at a time which will hopefully save you some money.

Otherwise you can get a pre payment thingy, but I could be wrong but I think you need to have five prescriptions every four months to make it worthwhile...

Your cousin in Warwickshire obviously has some reason for not paying charges. In Scotland prescriptions are free for everyone, but not in England.

It's a tax on being ill as far as I can see.

• Posted

Hi Madge, I agree that it's wrong to charge but not because it's an illness because it is not an illness. However, it is something we have no control over and wouldn't it be best for everyone if the world wasn't filled with confused and angry middle aged women which some days I feel like smile 

• Posted

I think that tax should not be charged, since being sick is not rewarding. There is information in findrxonline that is being reviewed this law because the people who suffers from chronic pain spends on medicines like vicodin, hydrocodone, norco that are painkillers prescribed by doctors.
  • Posted

Hi Guest

I appreciate your grievance about paying for HRT which I am about to embark on, equally I have to pay for asthma which was not self-inflicted so feel your pain and cost.  However, I am little concerned as to why you state you will be on this medication for life? I thought all evidence today advises that it should not be given for more than 5 years for optimum health effects and you should be evaluated every 12 months to ensure you are not developing any negative contraindications? just curious.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.