HRT review

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was called into my GP's surgery today as I had requested my Evorel Conti on repeat and the Doc they would not prescribe it until I had been in for my yearly check up (fair enough) I didn't see my usual GP as I would have had to wait over a month!! so the GP I did see gave me the 'talk'  telling me at my age (66) and over the next 5 years the probability of me having a heart attack etc., could be 40% *sigh*.. I remained firm and told him politely that as far as I am concened, the benefits outweigh the risks. He said I will be asked to wean off. I have slowly reduced my patch over months to a half now and do not intend to stop taking HRT voluntarily. So many GP's lack information and it makes me wonder if it's a 'cost related thing' as I know HRT is expensive.  But.. they will happily dish out statins, anti depressants etc., like sweets... I stuck to my guns today and I am quite pleased with myself lol! Onwards and upwards ladies smile

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pat, i am so happy to read this as i feel the same as you that the benefits out weigh the risks ! I had to come off my HRT as had a Polyp removed & a hysteroscopy which i had to have aneastehtic, I was off of them for a month before the op & around 8 weeks after. The symptoms came back after the 6th week? Got worse each week. My results were all fine, I am now bk on my HRT i was taking before, not feeling the full benefits as yet, was lucky as my GP said its about people as individuals & how they feel about HRT & symptoms. I looked the price of the ones i take 3 x 28 tabs £20.58 ? smile

• Posted

Well done Pat.

unfortunatley I gave up with my G.P, I'm the same age as you, but getting my prescription every month and being lectured to ........despite quoting the latest Nice guidelines.......just got me down and I now pay for a private prescription from a private GP

• Posted

Hello Pat

I don't think that it's got anything to do with cost.  I live in NZ where I pay for HRT as not on subsidised medicine list.  Yes the statins and antidepressants are on subidised and much used.

I've just come out of hospital after a total hysterectomy.  The person who gave me a hard time re HRT was the pharmacist who was reconciling the medicine and as I'd brought my own in, it wasn't charted.  She was surprised that I'd been on it so long (17 years) and shocked when I said that I planned to stay on it forever.  She talked about heart attacks, strokes, etc.  I'll take my chances as qualty of life is very important to me.  Now I'm facing life without uterus, ovaries, tubes, etc I'll see how my body copes and also how it reacts to no progestogen.  Will continue with Estrofem 1 mg daily and have that reviewed.  Any comments welcome.  Cheers Lyn

• Posted

Hi Lyn i agrre with you as i have awful symptoms when not on them. Ive said it myself about staying on them for life. I take both estrogen & progesterone as post meno, Its good to know that you have been on them for  (17) years., as like you said the Drs go on about heart strokes etc but its quality of life thats important for me aswel  smile

• Posted

Good for u thay done the same to me i went with out them for a bit it was not nice so went back and talked to sum one else she was not happy but it our life good on you😀

• Posted

Go, girl!  I have using Oestradiol transdermals in all forms for nearly 27 years.  (I am about to turn 66 too.)  Oestradiol transdermals protects you from heart attacks, strokes, etc.  Non bio-identical oestrogens and progestins (non biodential progesterone) are the culprits.

I wish drs would educate themselves about it.

• Posted

Well done you! I just got my next 3 month pack of patches after just over a year on Evorel. The doctoe did not even suggesy there would be a time limit at any time so, at 66, I will keep on them as long as I can. Girl power lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.