HRT vs Antidepressants? during menopause

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there

I went to my GP a couple of months ago to ask about HRT,, mainly because of lack of energy and moods.

I do not suffer from hot flashes or night sweats. But felt these moods where unbearable, and also can't handle stress as much as I used to. My GP gave me a prescription for tablets Elleste Duet, no estrogel {read on this forum} has been mentioned. After taking these tablets for 3 weeks, I felt very tired and barely could get myself out of the house and stopped taking them. I thought I let it be for a while. I recently returned to my GP, and she said if I am not having the flushes. I might be better off with sertraline this belongs to a group of anti depressant drugs. I only had a few minutes with my GP the patient before me took some time And felt like this was a quick fix. I do not feel I am depressed. Ones home I felt the GP could have discussed other HRT options, is it correct to assume HRT wont help for mood swings caused by menopause.?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Are bio-identicals difficult to get outside of the U.S.? If your practitioner won't even discuss bio-identicals, that means that have NO freakin' clue how they work, their efficacy, how to prescribe or manage their use. Many docs 'parrot' the use of synthetic hormones b/c that is what they learn in med school and they won't deviate outside what they were taught in school. Talk about being a closed 'box'. But there are those practitioners who are not afraid to venture outside the 'box'. We deserve to feel better. Women get the short end of the stick when it comes to hormones!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.