HS

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi to all you sufferers out there. I had this hideous condition from the age of 25 and know exactly what your all going through. In my case it was not diagnosed until some 6 years later. I was sent to see a dermatologist who prescribed some powerful steriods on a 3 month trial. These did not work so he refered me to a surgeon who cut away all of the infected area's, mainly scrotum and buttocks.

Once the wounds had healed i got on with life, 5 years went past and i had forgotten all about it until one morning i woke up with that familiar pain. It came back with a vengance, it got to the stage where i was even incising the lumps myself just so i could walk.

Some time later i met a surgeon who said his father might be able to help me, i went to see him at London Bridge Hospital where he outlined the treatment. This involved the same procedure as 5 years earlier only this time they would skin graft the whole of the infected area's, it was a lengthy and painful process, the pain from where they took the skin from my thighs was excruciating and i needed crutches for 10 days.

So, the outcome, i have been clear now for 20 years, touch wood i hope it is now a thing of the past. Until they find a cure i feel this is the only option left for the majority of sufferers. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi I am glad this worked for you.  Yes it is drastic but when you get to that stage there are few options left.   Many of us aren't that bad and have to suffer through various treatments to see if they help first.   I fortunately am not that severe so wouldn't be offered that treatment but I still have to suffer it.   Well done and it sounds like it was worth it for you.   x
    • Posted

Hi hypercat, thanks for your comment, yes it was all worth it in the end.

Hope your coping ok, even though your not that severe it can still be very uncomfortable. x

• Posted

Hi James and you are welcome.   I don't mind uncomfortable but I don't do pain very well.  When I do get them badly they are big,  infected and very very painful.   Bev x

• Posted

Hi Bev, i know how painful it can get, it's not nice but glad you are not getting them day after day x
  • Posted

Hi James glad this worked for you!

I am also planning on having surgery this year to put an end to this, I found a really good surgeon who has treated many patients in the past with this disease but he abides in the USA and it's a little far for me to travel.

If you could private message me the name of the doctor who treated you at London that would be great since I am from the Uk as well. I don't want to get this disease treated by someone who doesn't have any experience in this field. Appreicate it

Cheers

• Posted

Hi Jason, i'm sorry but the surgeon who treated me has now retired, i was one of his last patients. Hope you can find one. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.