Hs and birth control

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello! I was wondering if any of you have found birth control to be helpful in reducing the amount of boils. I am currently on a birth control that contains drospirenone and ethinylestradiol, which I was prescribed since it helpes reduce acne and my doctor thought it could therefore help my hs. I have now been on it for almost 5 months and have not really seen any improvement. If anything it has gotten a little bit worse, although my acne has cleared up a bit. I am debating wheather I should stop taking it or continue and hope that my body will get used to it and that it will eventually help my hs. Please share your experiences with birth control, even ones with other hormones in them!

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I started taking microgynon about 5 months ago after having awful flare ups of my HS in my groin after having my first baby. It didnt seem to be helping for the first few months but in the last 2 months I have noticed that I am only getting a flare up a few days before stopping the pill for the week break. So for me it seems to be helping as one week of boils is better than constant flare ups (period week is always uncomfortable anyway so whats an extra problem?!) I hope this helps x

• Posted

Thank you! Maybe I'll keep going then and hope it gets better. I'm happy you have found something that works for you! 😃

• Posted

Hi Matildaw

I am 30 years of age now and have been experiencing episodes since 17. I take Yasmin and havent had a flare up now for over 5 years.

I dred to think what would happen if I ever stopped taking them but for now my life is so much happier and pain free.

I would highly recommend talking to your doctor about them x

• Posted

The ones I am taking at the moment are almost the same as yasmin, the only difference is that it contains 0.02 mg ethinylestradiol instead of

0.03 mg. Did it help immediately or did you have to wait for the pills to maake a difference?

• Posted

Hi there

thank you for the post i am wondering if you take YASMIN non stop or do you take the 7 days off?

Kind regards

Kathy

• Posted

In all honesty I dont remember. I think most contraceptions take a couple of months to properly get into your system.

I know that doctors sometimes recommend Yasmin to people suffering with acne, as it helps to reduce the lumps and bumps. HS can be similar in the sense that it can appear boil/cyst like.

I hope this helps x

• Posted

i have read that birth control can help with flare ups, but i was the exact opposite. i tried pretty much every birth control out there over the course of a few years and all of them made my flare ups worse. i haven't taken any form of birth control for almost 2 years now and, although i still have frequent flare ups, they aren't as bad as they were when i was on BC.

• Edited

hello how' s your hs now ?

• Posted

Don't know if it's due to the birth control, but it is so much better than I could ever imagine! I have now been on it for two years, but the real improvement came about a year ago when I started using intimate oil wash, I think that is the main factor. I do still get boils and bumps sometimes, but it is nowhere near what it used to be.

So I would very much recommend trying out washing with intimate oil, baby oil should also work!

• Edited

No, nothing like that! I eat what I want, but I've been vegan for a while now so I don't know if that might be helping as well.

• Posted

hey were you ever able to shave with hs ?

• Posted

Yes, I don't find shaving making it worse, sometimes even the opposite.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.