HS and coffee

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been working on changing my diet due to hearing so many people with HS have successfully helped them selves with finding the foods that effect their HS. I have read coffee can be a trigger for some I drink a lot of coffee well I have cut down to one cup a day. Has anyone here had success with cutting out coffee. Just wondering if that could help. Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I had tried cutting coffee several times before for my heart rhythm but it never helped my HS.
  • Posted

I haven't noticed any difference when I stop.coffee, but if I use artificial sweeteners (the pink packet) in my coffee I seem to get more episode (splenda seems to be fine). I know it's not directly related to your question but hopefully it can hel you.
  • Posted

I didnt notice anything when I went onto green tea, which also cut caffine at the same time. I also tried dairy free before I went gluten free and that had no effect either on my HS. Ive never tried the nightshades diet as gluten is my trigger.

Keep trying and hopefully you'll find a trigger.

Good luck.

• Posted

I cut out coffee the same time I cut out night shades (this just in the last 7 days).  I don't know if it's helped the HS yet, but I also have an eyelid that gets inflamed everyday (except when I was sick and wasn't drinking coffee).  In the last 7 days, it did NOT get inflamed until I accidentally ate something with nightshade and had a cup of caffeinated tea.  

I say, try going cold turkey on the coffee for a few days.  If your gut is telling you it might be a trigger, I believe it's worth giving it a try.  My gut has been telling me for MONTHS to give up the coffee and now that zi finally did it, I am seeing a difference.  The only Tea I am drinking is decaffeinated tea. 

Good luck in your pursuit.

• Posted

I am late bloomer who just started this crap(total 0f 10 eruptions) last fall at the age of 50. Possibly because I am premenopause? The last eruption I had in Nov., that day I had an expresso in the am(typical) and was drinking tons of coffee at work. I realized this and stopped coffee/expresso cold turkey and have yet to have another infection, but it is really too soon to say that is what my trigger is, but I am hopeing thats what it is. I am also drinking a cup of tumeric tea every morning.
  • Posted

This is a late reply, but I felt it worth writing for anyone who finds this. I suspect I have been suffering from HS for the passed year or so. It had been slowly getting worse with recurring lumps in my armpits becoming more frequent and painful. At first I suspected it was my lifestyle - I did a lot of running and martial arts, with plenty of tightly fitting clothing around my arms and chest. However after cutting back, this made no difference. I went to the Dr and was prescribed an antiseptic cream, which helped a little, but also bleached my clothes and didn't prevent flair ups. In desperation I cut back on caffeine, eventually going cold turkey. I noticed the benefit almost immediately. I sweat a lot less, which I suspect was one of the causes for my HS in the first place. My blood pressure is down, and I have had absolutely no flair ups in the last couple of months. When I quit, I was in the middle of one, and the lumps went away very fast. I am almost certain that for me, caffeine was inhibiting my lymphatic system and causing me to sweat excessively, which led to my HS break outs.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.