HS and Diet and being overweight.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am interested to hear from fellow HS sufferers and how they have tried to control their painful symptoms by diet. I am 51 and had this since puberty, I now find myself overweight  ( because of HS! ), exercise is difficult because it seems to cause an outbreak. I have tried various medicinal combinations but always relapse. I need some diet advice firstly to combat HS but secondly to combat the weight problem. As the doctor says ' I'm knocking on the door of diabetes' and I want desperately to reverse this before it's too late. I have juiced vegetables and fruit in the past but find it a difficult regime to keep up. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie - I've found that trying the paelio diet has improved my symptoms a lot! Bascially it's the 'caveman' diet - so meat, fruit and veg - barely any grains. Of course, I cheat on the weekends, and that makes it bearable! Also, I found that cutting down on 'nightshade-family' foods reduces the outbreaks too, so no paprika, barely any potatoes, no aubergines etc. Oh - and more turmeric and garlic helps!

In March 2014 I got my tracts removed from my underarm in my local g.p, and since then I have had no problems on that side! I suggest you go speak to your doctor about getting yours surgically removed too - it makes you feel normal again! :D

Oh - and make sure you exfoliate in the shower with a body scrub and body puff - it encourages the healthy breakdown of skin cells, and an emollient cream after it is wonderful.

Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you very much Lauren, I have started a low carb, higher protein diet today, and will certainly cut out the night shades. I've come to realise ..perhaps a bit too late that when you suffer from this firstly, you must help yourself as much as poss and secondly the best people to get great advice are from the very people who suffer also. It am really appreciating this forum

• Posted

Try cutting out nightshades! Worked for me! I have suffered for years and tried every medicine, laser hair removal, my doctor cut my cysts out only to have them form under scar tissue and also shots.  HS is an autoimmune condition and people with autoimmune can be sensitive to nightshades.  Nightshades are potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, any kind of spice made from a pepper, eggplant and tobacco!  After cutting out nightshades I went into remission! I accidentially ate turkey with something on it at thanksgiving and developed 2 cysts by that night! You have to watch ingredients on EVERYTHING! Even shredded cheese has potato starch in it!  Good luck! 
    • Posted

I cannot tell you how much I have appreciated the advice I have been given ..thank you. I too have tried every medicine and antibiotic going, been to 6 different consultant doctors and still many doctors don't even know about HS. Certainly I am realising I need to take responsibility for my condition and I will be cutting out night shades and try a protein/ low carb diet. The other thing I want to do is join more groups and forums on the Internet, i am interested to find out if the condition is being researched. Thanks for your help crystal 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.