HS Groin Surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am due to have surgery tomorrow on both sides of the groin. Has anyone actually gotten it? What was the swelling like? Would I need help with a lot of things or could I just do it? Clothes to wear etc. What was your experience like?

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

have had HS for fifty years.   had operations and skin grafts under arms, which were fine and I have had no problem since.   also had operation to groin years ago which unfortunately didn't work.   I hope yours is ok and that you get some respite from the severe pain which these can cause.    

• Posted

Symone79 - It's been a month since you posted so I believe you have had your surgery.  How did it go? My gynecologist is sending me to a general surgeon.  I'm thinking he will push for surgery too but I would hope that would be a last resort? I have been watching YouTube videos on HS surgeries and I'm so scared. Did you try anything before surgery? How long does it take to heal? Is it terribly painful? I'm sorry I have so many questions but like I said I'm just so scared.  

• Posted

Hi , i have hs since like 12 years. At once when i was teen i thought i was the only one in the world lol My doctors have told me things from put a warm cloth to you just need to be more clean.. I thought i would never get better. I even started to get worst , it got behind my ears and on my lower belly and kind of around my boobs even though im really thin. 5’10 for 120lbs. I tried cutting all food basically.. no sugar no nightshade no nothing.I did one year of antibiotics it was hell and wasnt helping. But i found something! one day i got a ringworm, a fungus . I got a prescription of Ketoderm for it. It was on my belly, i noticed that my open sore that was sitting there since like 9 months healed.. Thn i got some more luck. I dont know why but i bought Noxzema cream and started to put it on my cysts. Im rinsing it with dexidin4, i believe its like hibiclens. If its a leaking sore i dont put noxzema on top but i cleaned it with Dexidin4 and Dexidin alcohol. Then i saw Wayne Goss on youtube talk bout his cystic acne and how a certain bramd of peroxide of benzoyle 2% helped him.. i went and bought  Benzagel 5%. .. So i washed with Noxzema, dexidin4. Put a light coat of Ketoderm and a think coat of Benzagel5. After 3 days i had like an explosion of cysts that i didnt even know i had! They all came out and started to empty alone or with just a light presure. After like 2 weeks i had half of my darkness and the little bumps with blackheads and white stuff under my arms and groin were gone .. now its nearly 6 months later , i eat like my bf , i have no more cysts, i have only some of my canals , the scars, that get filled with dirt and when i press it goes away, it happens maybe once a week .. no more cysts i swear! I know its not a legit treatment but i swear it worked for me. I now apply only benzagel because my doc think i dont need the ketoderm anymore but i bought a fungus medication at the store in case .. i put some on my tunnels when they get filled with dirt. Sorry im not english. Anyways i think it is worth a try if you are not filled with open wounds, or ask your doctor. I really tried a lot of creams and a lot of antibiotics and home remedies, nothing worked except this. I think ill need to do it forever but i passed 3 days in row not applying the cream and only doing the wash method and no flare ups. Im 80% healed id say since i still have scars and a little bit of misplaced blackheads but i have hope they will go away.. even my tunnels and scars have gotten smaller. I hope you can give it a try,sorry for the long explanation, good luck
    • Posted

Catherine - Thank you so much for all your suggestions - and your English is great.  I'm going to see a surgeon tomorrow and I have a dermatologist appointment on Friday.  I'm really hoping I don't need surgery.  I will bring up your suggestions with the dermatologist. It can't hurt to ask him and if it has worked for you I'm hoping it will work for me also. I never heard of this and my symptoms only really started in June.  I see now that so many people have struggled with this for so many years.  I really hope they come up with something that will cure this. Thank you again for responding and all of your suggestions that work for you.  It's so kind of you to share.  I hope I can do the same for someone someday also and tell them what helped me. smile

• Posted

Lol it’s okay. We all have plenty of questions. The surgery went great, I just woke up choking on the breathing tube lol but other than that it was great.  I used anti bacterial soap, clidamycin topical Solution (actually made down there worse but my arms better 🤷???) , & changed my diet for a few months. Saw no results from any this, so I went for surgery. It’ll take a few months for me to heal completely. My surgeon left the wound open so I wouldn’t get any Infections. That’s the most annoying part 👿. I would always have to change my dressing when I used the bathroom. Barely any pain, just a lot of swelling. It also feels very uncomfortable to sit for the first 3/4 weeks. I’m healing pretty fast though, I use Vaseline every time I dress the wound. I was scared too at first. Weed has been my friend to depression because if I didn’t smoke I would most definitely be depressed. It’s horrifying seeing your lady bits like that. But in the long run the surgery was great, I would do it again if I had to. 

• Posted

Im not sure it will get a big yes go try it from your surgeon or dermatologist, my doctor still has doubt its what worked but i would tell you this ; there are as many opinions as there are doctors and surgeons. One might think you need to get it removed , one will think it needs to get opened up (lanced?) one will think you need to try antibiotics or lasers. The doctors dont agree with the dermato that doesnt agree witt the surgeon.. One thing i learned is always to go for the less invasive treatment and take a step back to let it try to work. It will be time to get the biggest surgery latter . Except if its really really bad. I had times where i had so many inflamed cysts that i woukd have beged a surgeon to remove everything and do skin grafts but i had no access to one. I would tell you from my personal experience that unless it is really infected and open sores to try my method a few days , maybe a week . Even if your dermatologist says it wont work, unless he says its harmful ofc. Go check Wayne Goss channel on youtube , i believe the video name was how to get rid of cystic acne. Its for the cysts part, for the ketoderm part , maybe what was in my pimples and cysts was staphylococcus. Its commun when hair follicles become infected with bacteria. I mean.. im not a doctor but im happier with my results thn with the antibiotics therapies and the opening cysts and packing them and letting it open and getting a scar that makes a tunnel :-/ 

Good luck , also think of what you want to go through and try to get more than one opinion 

• Posted

Aloes vera gel has been a friend of mine on open wounds if you want to check it out. In tubes or just the leaves that you press. Its great with scarring. Theres Silicon gel too for the scars. I know what depression feels like believe me .. i think H.S is not good for mental health because its depressing to be different and we cant help but feel dirty a bit.. As for the clindamicyn topical solution , have you asked your dermatologist to test the wounds and prescribe you something according to the exact bacteria you are fighting? its good to get test of what is in our cysts and pimples to get the right fighting agent. Good luck to you and we are still beautiful !
  • Posted

Hello all - Well, I saw the general surgeon on Thursday and was told yes, I have a hole left over from a boil but I don't have HS. I also have a bit of a fungal infection, which is also why I was in so much pain. I was told from previous doctor to keep putting a wet rag in the groin area so I think that's how I got that? Not sure. Told me to put anti fungal powder, like the ones used for athlete's foot and wait 3 weeks. If not better to call him and may have to lance it. I had already set up a 2nd opinion for the following day with a dermatologist. He said I do have HS, although a mild version that can go away if I lose weight. That it's a side effect of my PCOS and losing weight will help if not cure it. Put me on antibiotics (2x a day) for 20 days and a cream. I feel much better already and it's only Monday. Seeing him for a follow up in 2 weeks. But I can see it's actually 2 holes and they just aren't getting better. So, 2 doctors, 2 different opinions. I'm glad the dermatologist at least gave me something to help and didn't just dismiss me like I feel the surgeon did. The surgeon told me to stay off the internet and not diagnose myself. I am cautiously optimistic but the wounds that are not healing (since first week of July) are scaring me a bit. Thanks again Symone and Catherine for replying and all your suggestions.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.