HS - Referral to Dermatologist

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have suffered with HS for 6 months now and antibiotics are helping, but not clearing it up, so my Doctor has referred me to a Dermatologist.  The only thing is, I am stuck with is what questions to ask at the appointment, does anyone have any ideas?

Also does anyone know what causes HS.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Be careful if the Dermo recommends an immune suppressor like Humira. I'd definitely try the zinc first. Good luck!!

• Posted

Hi I would be very careful with a dermatologist as they are not fully aware of the condition, I was referred to a dermatologist but cos I suffer with acne as well he gave me a course of Isotretinoin for 5 months, this didn't help my HS just my acne and gave me dreadful dry skin which I still have to this day this was 7 years ago, you are better seeing a general surgeon, I am awaiting my 5th operation but each op it gets better and I get less flare ups, my flare ups are caused by stress, hormones and feeling ill, I've tried the stopping certain foods and everything else but im trying to reduce the stress in my life, being a gp receptionist isn't a good job to have tho lol, I've suffered for over 10 years and have only recently found my triggers, you just have to figure out what your cause is as everyone is different, sorry for long reply x

• Posted

Thanks for your help, I am wondering why causes mine, maybe the Dermatologist will be able to tell me.
  • Posted

Can you find out what type if expertise in HS the dermo has? I found it makes all the difference in the world to get one who knows what HS is and who is up to date on the medical literature about it - no small feat because there's not much compared to other conditions.

I'm not sure why anyone even prescribes antibiotics for it unless the lesions culture positive for bacteria. I nearly ruined my digestive system with years of antibiotics until I got with the dermo who diagnosed me.

HS - what causes it? The jury is still out. There are many theories, but nothing definitive that I know of. Because Humira put me into immediate and complete remission, I'm convinced it's an autoimmune disorder, in the family with rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn's disease & others.

Since I can't take Humira anymore, my HS is back with a vengeance. I'm going to find the zinc study and read up on that option.

Good luck to you!

• Posted

Thankyou very much for your help, I will mention at the appointment Humira and Zinc and see what the Dermatologist says.
    • Posted

Hi

Just one more question, if you don't mind me asking you. Are there any family members with an autoimmune condition.?

• Posted

The individual who has put her HS into remission with large doses of zinc is"marisa99478". Maybe you can message her privately thru this site. For some reason beyond my understanding, the moderator deletes the link to the study which certainly might help a lot of sufferers. As far as general surgery, it did not work for me. I found a plastic surgery HS practice at Cleveland Clinic in Ohio that does CO2 Laser surgery. CO2 has worked for me so far. The difference, believe it or not, is blood. With CO 2 laser surgery the area gets burned away and there is no blood. This allows for the surgeon to SEE CLEARLY the diseased tissue area. Not so easy with knife surgery. I had gotten my one 10 year old lesion, which when inflamed got to the size of half dollar easy, down to the size of a 1/2" marble with a lot of minocycline and steroid cream right before the operation. (12/04/17). When the surgeon was done removing all the diseased tissue right  down to the fat (lesion on buttocks), the area he had to remove turned out to be 1 3/4" wide by 2 1/2" long. That's how big the diseased area really was. Not just he 3/4" area the knife surgeon had removed in the first failed attempt at removing the lesion. That was stitched closed after excision. When I healed it came right back there. It has been about 9 weeks since CO2 laser surgery. That whole area was left open and it took 8 weeks to heal and finally close. So far, no return of lesion. Keeping my fingers crossed. 

• Posted

Thankyou Harry for all your help, I have definitely noted your comments and I hope everything works out for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.