Hs stage 3 antiseptic wash/scrub for abscesses any ideas?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have stage 3 hs and I am looking for an antiseptic wash that helps with flares and pus.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello Kenneth254

My Wife uses Hibiscrub Antimicrobial Skin Cleanser

She can get it on prescription from her GP. or you can buy it £4.95

This is a bit about how it is used  

Commonly used in hospitals for pre-operative surgical hand disinfection, ward and pre-operative hand washing and as part of post-operative outpatient aftercare

Use as an antiseptic hand wash and to keep the skin free from harmful bacteria

Contains the active ingredient Chlorhexidine gluconate 4% w/v which binds to the skin forming an effective barrier

Proven to keep killing bacteria and protecting the skin for up to 6 hours after application

Formula is effective against a wide range of bacteria, yeasts, viruses and some fungi

Can be applied undiluted in the shower as you would use a shower gel, or added to the water of a bath for whole body washing

Containing a blend of emollients and dermatologically tested, it helps soften and hydrate the skin

Care should be taken during use to avoid contact with the eyes and ears.

Hope it works well for you

• Posted

hi would just like to add I've been using hibiscrub 4% for many months now and my condition hasn't improved at all. I use it in the shower daily also rub it on the skin before bed and put kitchen towel between my cheeks to soak up any moisture. my skin overall is bone dry. admittedly I think it does help in reducing bacteria and I feel nice and clean but this alone is not effective for some and for me this year my flare ups have been particularly aggressive and relentless to the point im booked in for surgery soon even after a course of amoxaclav 500mg and taking various supplements,trimming my diet cutting down smoking,losing some weight and it's the worst it's ever been. it may be effective for small outbreaks but unfortunately for me it has no affect.

• Posted

Hibiclens works well. However my physician has me using acne skin cleansers with 10% hydrogen peroxide. I have stage 3 HS in my groin and buttocks. Over 25 years. Also use scar cream. It thins the skin so you drain out the puss and fluids and the area shrinks
    • Posted

Thanks mate will start with the hibiclens then the acne cleansers. Cheers!
  • Posted

My dermatologist suggested bleach baths.  It's a 1/2 cup of bleach in a full tub of warm water and soak for 10 minutes then rinse. 

• Posted

Great!  The recommendation was to bleach bath twice a week.   It’s just like being in a swimming pool with strong chlorine.   Just remember to moisturizer after because your skin will be very dry.  
    • Posted

I believe  the bleach kills the bacteria in a flare up.   I’ve had smaller flares since starting the bleach bathes.  It could also be a coincidence though since I am also on  Humira.   I’m trying everything and anything! 
    • Posted

Hi I'd be careful with bleach I tried it on a bit of athletes foot I had and soon after using it I developed lichen planus and 3 years later still have it on top of my Hs. the Joys! anyone know where they sell new bodies?? 😉

• Posted

I use this Indian based product called Detol Liquid. Pour a cap size into a mug of very hot water. Use a damp cloth and apply to area. Usually i use hibbiclens first, clean the area and then use Detol to finish off. Make sure to dry your area as much as possible after your shower, very important

• Posted

I have hidradenitis suppurativa I started having this a few years ago didnt know what it was. I had always gotten cysts but this was different. I was put on Humira didnt like it. Found an article to clean area with water and baking soda. the lession under my arm that keeps coming back began shrinking within days. no pain and within a week redness gone the skin got flat and white, seems to have broke a little but no pain and no smell like all the times before. Give it a try. I also read it could raise your hyper tension. I have high bp controlled by pills no problem. I think they say that because there is salt in baking soda.

Give it a shot, maybe we can apply on regular basis to keep areas under control.

I also read sugar can trigger, I would get a test done for food allergies as well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.