HS Sufferer

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi i'm scheduled for armpit surgery, currently i have no active abcess but why do i still have so much pain in my arm?  I can't move my arm the pain is right up to my shoulder sad

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I never have had pain that goes up my arm in my shoulder that's weird. I hope its not a pinch nerve in your neck or something because I have hs and I also have a bad neck and before my neck surgery I had pain up my arm that moved into my shoulder.I pain wasn't caused from my hs tho.

• Posted

I hope its not pinch nerve, cant deal with that too lol

thanks will have it checked out or maybe my arm has been through too much pain of the HS its tensed up sad

• Posted

Hi. Abscesses aren't necessarily just one little thing. They can create tracts under the skin to join up so you may have underlying tracts that don't have a head. (That's why you're not supposed to squeeze them.) If it hurts to press on your underarm it might be something like that but if not and there is no sign of infection a nerve problem is more likely. Either way, speak to your doctor and or surgeon about it and make sure they know before the surgery.

If it were after the surgery I'd say it's a nerve problem because the surgeons push your arm past the point that it's comfortable to get at the infected area and can cause nerve damage. It happened to me and I had only half use of my arm for a couple of months as I couldn't raise it.

• Posted

thanks, i think it could be a tract under the skin.  Its very painful moving my arm.  But will definately go seek medical advice soon.  
    • Posted

It could just take a course of strong antibiotics. Unless you're seeing your dermatologist, I'd look up a list of effective antibiotics and rule out anything that hadn't worked for you in the past. I have a cyst and a granuloma under my arm that are still there after two rounds of the wrong antibiotics and was prescribed one that has completely stopped working for me as well.

Clindamycin and rifampicin together is supposed to be effective in less severe cases, so says the Internet.

Don't leave it too long or it will only get worse.

• Posted

Thanks I'm seek Dr tomorrow I think its under the skin as one abscess came to head now and pain subsiding.

• Posted

Ya its terrible when they come out on top of old ones.my one armpit is so bad I think I really need to see about having surgery.I really wish there was a different way,I take doxycycline and clindamycin lotion but my doc wants me to take it all the time but I take it for like 7 days when they get bad.I want them to work when I need them so my body don't get use to them.

• Posted

It is terrible especially when antibiotics don't help ..I'm so frustrated right now and worried that tomorrow all go well. Here in SA Dr are not familiar with this condition so little knowledge of this in our country and I don't know of any sufferers here. Yes i know its embarrassing and not many speak out but i feel if we dont then how will we ever get to a cure

• Posted

I had the same thing. Mine was a deep infection and they had to remove my lymph nodes. I had surgery on both underarms. I had a total of 16 surgeries but my case I'm sure is a lot worse than yours. The only recommendation that I have is to go to a wound care after the surgery if the area doesn't heal quickly. There are so many wound care techniques.. I have tried them all and the one that worked the best for me was at the wound care facility. They have a lot more access to better, less painful methods. I went a year with opened wounds.. but once I went to wound clinic my wounds finally healed! They saw me weekly.. they used prisma and hydrofera blue. Healed up quickly and you can keep those on for a while.. the prisma dissolves and the hydrofera blue changes from Blue to white.. it needed to be changed like 3 times a week.. super easy and then I used a surgical pad over it.. but it didn't stick.. just pour some saline and it comes right out.. please don't make the same mistake as I did and be in pain that was completely unnecessary.. have a plastic surgeon that has done the surgery plenty of times before.. then go to wound care clinic as soon as surgeon let's u..

• Posted

Also, if they do debridments.. tell them to soak wounds in lidocaine gel for 8-10 minutes.. then u won't feel it smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.