HS surgery

Posted , 4 users are following.

On 12/7/15 I'll be having my very first HS surgery and I have to admit I'm very nervous but so excited. I'm 18 years old and have been struggling with this since I was 12. My surgery will be performed on my right armpit. I have a whole "track" of outbreak all along the fold of my armpit. the wound will be left open with packing in it along with a draining tube. I'm curious to know how the surgeries went for those of you that have experienced it. did you have to spend the night in the hospital after the procedure or was it outpatient? what was your recovery time until fully healed? what restrictions were you given by your surgeon? did you receive pain medication?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi megan I had surgery to both my armpits at the same time. The abcesses under my arms were black and the core very deep. I had both my arms cut open and had them packed by the district nurse every day. I was in hospital for a week. It took a good three months before they both healed. I was 20 when I had that done. Just remind them before you go in to surgery to make sure they give you pain killers. I came round from theatre and was screaming with pain. They had forgot to administer morphine and it felt like they had amputated my arms. I'm 45 now and guess what yes the lumps are back under one of my arms. I suppose 25 years without having any lumps under my arm was a bonus but they have reared their hugely heads once again. I'm off to see the dermatologist in January not sure what they will decide this time. They took my sweat glands out at the same time and I never have to shave under my arms as no hair grows there that's a bonus. You won't be able to lift anything for at least a good week or two and the first time the packing comes out is very uncomfortable. I don't wish to put you off at all your best to have it done, but I think it's best I tell you what to expect then you do. Good luck with your surgery and keep me posted on how you are. Xx
    • Posted

thank you so much for you input! I'm afraid they will send me home the day of my surgery sad I will be sure to request pain killers. I've heard it's a very extensive abrasive process but I've been struggling with this for so long I think it's worth it! I'm so happy your HS has went into remission. hope you receive some good news at your upcoming doctors appt. best of luck and I'll keep you updated!
    • Posted

Hi Megan it is an extensive abrasive process but worth it if your out of pain. I can't complain having 25 years free from it. I have had surgery more or less everywhere. Mine all started of with a large on at the Base on my coxis bone. I had that cut out and packed by the nurse. I've had them taken out of my groin I've lost count how many times. It's part of my life now and I try to keep them at bay if I can. I had a cream off Amazon which is brilliant and soothes the pain more or less straight away. It's call Emuaid max strength so if your ever stuck that's a great cream. I have been doing food elimination for months now tomatoes egg plant peppers white potato etc and all gluten and yeast free and dairy free stuff. They haven't gone but are not as bad as they was. I find if I have antibiotics I get more outbreak so I leave it now and don't take them.
  • Posted

Hi Megan,

I'm 17 and just underwent my first surgery on the 18th of November. I'm from Australia so my experience could be different if you're from somewhere else.

I stayed overnight after an excision in my left underarm (they removed cyst and tracts) and they gave me stitches, however after I had the stitches out (last Friday) it opened up again so now it has been packed and will hopefully heal well in the next ten to twenty days.

I was very sore after my surgery but the most important thing is to REALLY take it easy. Even if you start to feel better, just continue to take very good care of yourself.

Painkillers were a given for me. In hospital they gave me plenty of Endone as well as Ibroprufen and Panadol so I slept very well!! Hopefully they send you home with some pain meds or (in my case) a prescription to get some more.

Best of luck with your surgery, and please take care of yourself ☺️ X

• Posted

Sorry but a quick edit: my surgical wound should heal in the next ten to twenty days... It can take from 6 months to 2 years for the cavity inside to heal according to my doctor. Following a good diet and not smoking etc is a great way to make sure you heal well. Xx
    • Posted

thank you so much for sharing your experience with me! I'm very much so looking forward to the sleep I'll be getting its crazy how much this actually affects it!
  • Posted

So I've had a few procedures done on both armpits and in my groin. It's definitely not what I'd classify as a fun experience, but nowhere near as painful as what my HS had already put me through. It didn't give me any long-term relief, but my HS was already so advanced by the time I was diagnosed, that was probably why. My diet is the only thing that keeps mine under control.

Definitely tell the nurses and anastesiologist to give you pain meds. And after the procedure, make sure they're giving you your pain medication at the earliest possible moment, before your previous dose has completely worn off. So if you're supposed to take 1 pill every 4-6 hours, take another a little after 4 hours, not six. Do NOT wait until you're in pain again to take your meds, because it takes about 20-60 minutes (depending on your metabolism) for it to kick in.

Also, you might want to request some anti-nausea meds as well. Some people get nauseus from the anasthesia and from the pain medication itself. So when the anasthesiologist comes in to meet with you before the procedure, tell them you're concerned about nausea and they'll probably be able to give you something for it. And ask for some anti-nausea pills to take with your pain medication for post-op.

And on that note, you'll want some stool softener handy as well. Pain meds really slow down your digestive track and can stop you up pretty good, so having a stool softener or a very mild laxative would definitely be helpful.

You'll probably be in the hospital overnight at least, if not for a few days (Make sure you pack your own toothbrush and extra underwear, seriously). That really should've been explained to you during your pre-op appointment, the length of your stay not the part about having extra underwear smile. So I'd call the surgeon's office and ask, but it'll depend on what kind of procedure they're doing.

Also, I'd make sure to have some bras with a front closure on hand. I ripped open an incision, not once, but twice trying to put on a bra. The first time, I'd just gotten out of the hospital about 3 days after my procedure, and the second time was about 8 days post-op I believe. (That's not something a male surgeon would ever think of to tell you smile

As for restrictions and your recovery time, it'll depend entirely on how deep they have to go, how much tissue they remove and what kind of incision they'll be using. Your surgeon should give you instructions when you're released, read them like they're your bible and follow them like they're your commandments. You definitely won't be able to lift much of anything for a week or two, at least until a few days after the packing has been removed. Not sure how long they're planning on leaving it in. Be careful of any sudden arm movements, or stretching (like trying to put a bra on) and keep it clean and dry.

They'll likely give you an antibiotic as well to prevent infection. Take the whole course, don't stop early.

Healing time again will depend on the person and the procedure. My armpits took longer than my groin though, probably because they were the worst at the time. One armpit healed completely after about two, maybe three months, the other took nine.

Take your time, don't stress out, keep yourself relaxed and make sure you go into this procedure knowing that your recovery is going to be a process. Eat healthy, lay off sugar if you haven't already, and drink a lot of water. Steer clear of caffeine too. Be patient with your body and don't push yourself. Good luck!

• Posted

I was SO sick after my anaesthesia so I agree with you there, definitely make sure they're giving anti-nausea Meds!
  • Posted

hi everyone! my surgery went very well and I'm having minimal pain. my HS had just occurred so it was in the early stages of my arm pit so I feel that's why mine went so well. I was just curious to know how everyone showered?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.