HS & working out/weight loss

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm 26 & I have had HS going on 14 years or so now. In the past 3-4 years I have seen it gradually get worse. I have gained 30lbs in that time as well. I'm finding it harder and harder to work out because the pain is so bad. Some days it hurts to walk nevertheless get on a treadmill. Does anyone have any kind of fitness tips that they could share? Whether it be good/diet tips, to things you do to workout that might not be so strenuous. 

Any info is appreciated. Thanks! 

Katelyn

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

You can try doing YOGA as it can be done while sitting and won't be exhausting.

• Posted

Have you had an alergie test my daughter did and found that she was dairy intolerant so since cutting it out and following a paelo diet she's almost hs free .

• Posted

I've tried everything. I'm not allergic to anything. I have PCOS though and have found that my hormone imbalance contributes to it quite a bit. Birth control helps but it's never in remission. I know once I get this weight down it will subside somewhat. 

• Posted

Hi Katy. 

A few things I have been doing lately have been working out from home... I follow a fairly intense workout programme (BBG) and it can be so painful, but I find the 'open leg' (excuse the expression) exercises like squats, or sit ups, arm work outs are easier. I prefer HITT training to get as much exercise in a short time period to get the benefits with less HS pain. 

I always pad up before to prevent any friction, sweat getting in the area (I'm affected in my groin) 

The benefits of working out haven't improved my HS,yet,  if anything it makes it swell a bit more for that evening, but, it's a wonder for my self esteem, strength and overall health.

Swimming is also great for HS. The chlorine actually helps and the cool water can be soothing. I wear baggy board shorts with a bikini top in the pool so that the bottoms don't rub and I can cover my areas!

I've just started another course of clindamycin and rifampacin which is improving the inflammation a bit. 

Just wondering if you have ever tried metformin for your pcos? I've never tried but read some good results for others that have HS, and have PCOS?  They also help with weight loss if over weight. I know it doesn't help everyone but some have reported improvements. 

Good luck. Hope you find what works for you. X

• Posted

I like weight lifting personally. Running creates a lot of friction so it can be pretty painful but things like yoga and weight lifting don't have a huge amount of movement to them. I will say though that I've never lost weight with yoga, but that's different for everyone. Weight lifting and building muscle (you won't become too bulky, don't worry about that, it takes a lot of specific effort to bulk out) means that you are adding more muscle which will then require more calories to sustain it, thereby increasing your resting metabolism. So, you're not just losing weight or burning calories while you're exercising, it continues when you stop. It's useful for HS as well because you can choose whatever movement you want so you can find what is comfortable and what is not. Just make absolutely sure that your form is good (i.e. if you're doing squats make sure your knees don't move towards each other). Maybe start with some gym machines and see how you feel. It makes me feel powerful, I love it!

• Posted

Also, I feel that working out is the best thing that you can do for HS, not because you're losing weight but actually because you're sweating. Sweating profusely when you're exercising flushes out the pores and stops them from getting blocked (which would lead to a cyst). Make sure to go for sweat-wicking sports clothes and not cotton as although cotton is breathable it's also absorbent and will hold the sweat against your skin which you don't want. Then make sure to shower right after to clear the sweat away.

• Posted

I'm affected on both the underarms. I've had a major plastic surgery and 9 minor procedure. Latest minor surgery was 2 weeks back. I've gained 20kgs in 2 years and desperately trying to loose weight. I wanted to know if lifting weight would cause any trauma to stich lines. What has been your experience? Because I can't do much cardio.

• Posted

I wouldn’t expect so. You can choose what you do as there are so many different movements to choose from. Starting off with body weight moves like squats and lunges is good, or using some machine weights at the gym. Getting someone at the gym to show you around the equipment is great as well. 

For example, some of the things I do at the gym: plank, side plank, side lying leg raises (important to remember the muscles at the sides of the hips, not just the gluteals), exercise ball crunches, goblet squats, single leg deadlift, dumbbell bench press, dumbbell bent row, hip thrusts (using bench). It’s all quite simple stuff to do as long as you make sure you’re using good form, and it’s very effective. None of these really have movements raising your arms above your head so they shouldn’t do you harm, but you may just need to find the right exercises for you. 

I group these into three exercises that I can do back to back, usually 8-10 reps of each, like bench press then bent row then hip thrusts then rest - and I’ll repeat this 3 times before moving onto the next 3 exercises. This decreases the amount of time you’re sitting around resting in the gym and the overall amount of time that you’re in the gym. 

The elliptical machine is good for cardio since it’s not excessive movement and has minimal impact on joints. I’m not a fan of cardio though so I usually just do this for a 10 minute warm up.

That’s way more information than you asked for, haha! But I feel really strongly that weight lifting is such a great way to lose weight and get healthy so I really recommend it. I’ve put a lot of thought into my own routine as figuring out the routine that works for you and getting started is probably the hardest part, so thought I’d share a bit of my own organisation for it too. Hope you find some of it helpful!

• Posted

I want to know is it safe to take whey protein and creatine for building body in gym.. i m suffering from hs since 4-5 years , hs attacks me on buttocks and armpits but now due to biologics and antibiotics there is much recovery but still there are 20-30% left over in arms and buttocks ... and from 6-7 mnths i hvnt take any antibotics and biologics but take care of my diet... tell me is it safe to takewhey protein which is isolate that is which is having very less amount of fat in it....??? 
    • Posted

And i m slim boy and having lean body ok
    • Posted

Hi,

I don’t take it myself but it is very common to do so. It’s not a steroid, it’s just protein and amino acids. I think of protein powder as a meal replacement as it can be difficult to get enough protein in your diet for body building by diet alone, so the protein helps to build muscle and the creatine is an amino acid supplement I think. As long as you use the instructed dosage I don’t see why it wouldn’t be safe, but if you’re not sure you could ask your doctor or a personal trainer for advice.

• Posted

I lost 80 lbs on a Keto diet avoiding ALL exercise other than swimming a few times a week as I was so terrified to sweat. exercising while in excruciating pain (I could hardly lift my arms much less a weight) wasn’t worth it for me. 

I have pcos as well and have found a very low carb, dairy free diet to be the best for balancing hormones. Dairy and pcos is just a big no in my experience.   I didn’t test positive for a nightshade allergy and only mildly positive for dairy and yet no more strep / yeast / sinus infections that I would get at least one or two yearly since I gave it up. No more open sores since I stopped the nightshades either. alledgies can be harder to pin point than you think.  

I also take zinc supplements if you google zinc NIH study you can see the supplementation guidelines. It has pushed me into complete remission. 

• Posted

I have been researching information on hydrodenitus supprativa for my husband who had a chronic condition with huge boils under his armpit and buttocks for almost 20 years...it more recently was in his armpits though and he would have huge boils twice a month he would have to get drained. I had him try everything I found online from diet, soap changes etc....nothing worked. It got so bad that a doctor was going to skin graph his armpits. I found online something about humira possibly working on HS and convinced the doctor to let him try it. He was on the drug for 6 months and then stopped the humira. He has not had 1 boil since then. ...I hate to say hes cured but it's been really promising.....thought I would pass this along since I may be able to help others with this skin condition.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.