HSP 50 years ago, is it affecting me now ?

Posted , 3 users are following.

When I was 4 i contacted HSP and was hospitalised. 4 weeks of steroid treatment (very large doses) resulted in rapid weight gain and collapsed feet arches. I don't remember much apart from going round the ward finishing everyone's food !

Since then, however there have been a number of things that make me think there are some long term effects:

1. Bouts of severe joint pain and high temperature

2. Very large appetite

3. Depression and anxiety

4. Motivation and concentration issues

Are some/all of these related to my HSP or am I just a fat, miserable lazy bugger ?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I would say the joint pain and tiredness would be connected to the HSP. Not sure if the steroids would still be responsible for weight gain if you are no longer on them now. But who knows. I have just put on weight after being on them so am hoping to lose some oncentre I am down to my maintenance dose of 25 mgs daily. Up on 60 mgs for now.
  • Posted

Hi Mathew.... to be honest probably a little bit of both. My 16 year old has HSP and has had for the past 2 and a half years. Weighed 60kg in 3 months went up to 84 on steroid treatment now back down after 2 years to 64kg.

Concentration was never an issue however thanks to GOSH she now has severe kidney damage and is a pinch away from dialysis which causes high creatinine levels and this causes low concentration spans.

Health diet of no meats, fish, potassium, vegetable proteins such as nuts and soy will aid in loss of weight and help the body feel much better. High carbs are helpful if you have kidney damage. Needless to say air is my daughter's favourite food lol

AS I am my daughter's motivation and encouragement but I she is not allowed to move about and feel sorry for herself. We take each day as it comes.

The disease itself won't give you depression and anxiety but the surcomstances around the disease could help bring on depression and/or anxiety.

My daughter and I wish you a happy life as it's the only one you have! Your a long time dead so make the most of it 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.