HSV on calf?

Posted , 2 users are following.

So I'm trying to figure out how HSV 1 or 2 works on the body. I have been dealing with a rash I believe is HSV on my calf muscle since July. Just recently I can see the rash going away. However there is a new rash that just presented itself last week. Looks exactly like the rash that is going away. My question is.. does HSV always break out in the same EXACT spot or the general area? I ask general area because I had a small rash a year ago on my knee. All three rashes don't itch unless my pants touch them directly. They don't hurt or burn but some bumps have clear fluid in them some do not. Any help would be appreciated! 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Also if it is HSV why didn't it show up around my genitle area first? Please no go to the doctor since I already have an appointment set up. Thanks 

• Posted

How long was this rash been there? Because if it was there for weeks and remained largely unchanged until only recently, that doesn't sound like herpes. Honestly, it doesn't sound like herpes generally speaking. Have you considered getting it swabbed to see if it is in fact herpes, and if so, which type? I'd be quite surprised if it's herpes.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. The original rash lasted around 5 weeks and I can still kinda see the outline of where the rash was. I didn't feel any bursting blisters like everyone talks about too and this new rash just appeared a week ago. I will be getting it swabbed just to be sure. Is there a specific swab test to ask for? The weird this is that these rashes are appearing on different parts of my left lower leg. The only thing I can think of is HSV 2 since I sure no one makes skin to skin contact on my leg with an hsv1 outbreak. Maybe it was dormant for years and just decided to pop up on my leg? Can that even happen? It's not painful at all or itchy so that's why I'm not rushing about seeing what it is. I just don't want to pass it to other ppl by leg contact 

• Posted

Still doesn't sound like herpes and I'd still be very surprised if it is! I would want to find out what it is regardless of whether it hurts or itches. Good that you're seeing a doctor. For herpes, just ask them to swab it for herpes and make sure that the test is type-specific. Usually they perform a viral culture. The other test - which is more accurate, costs more and is less widely available - is a pcr swab.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.