HSV1

Posted , 2 users are following.

What do you tell potential partners?I was diagnosed with HSV1 2 years ago and feel like it has ruined my life. I would love to meet someone but feel terrified of rejection . I don't get OBs but still

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

If you need to say anything at all (since gHSV1 isn't so bad, plus most people carry HSV1 orally anyway, which is worse than having it genitally), just casually say that you carry the cold sore virus during a suitable occasion. No need to specify where if not asked. That's a good compromise without being dishonest, imo.

• Posted

Thanks. I feel so guilty though. Is there any legal requirements with disclosure?
    • Posted

Not as far as I am aware. HSV1 is super common and most people don't even know they have it, so can't disclose, and those that do know often don't as it's just the cold sore virus and they may have stopped getting cold sores since childhood. Whether they should disclose is debatable, but there's no law requiring it.

• Posted

Thanks. Do you have any advice of what to say? Have you ever had to disclose? How is your mental health?

• Posted

For gHSV1, it's easy and I propose doing it the way I suggested above, if at all. I have gHSV2 which is not so easy to disclose, as I can't say it's just the cold sore virus, because it isn't. Similar, but different. I have largely abstained, so not needed to disclose myself, but others I know just pluck up the courage and come out with it when the moment is right, armed with facts. Best is to casually discuss it and not get upset, as the other person may mirror your emotions otherwise. I am sane, lol, but if you mean how have I coped emotionally, I would say that the first several months were stressful and felt as if life as I knew it was over, but things improved after that. Now I feel pretty good. But I wouldn't have been nearly as stressed and upset if I had gHSV1, so you're way luckier.

• Posted

Thanks. I know Im luckier but some days I feel frozen. I mentioned to a guy I have the cold sore virus and he said "as long as you get them on your face" This has plunged me into anxiety and makes me think. Is this worth it. You sound so strong. Do you mind if I ask. Do you get many OBs

• Posted

Lol, you should tell him that your blood test doesn't specify (not wrong) and that it's actually worse for it to be oral, so it might be better if that weren't the case! 😂

First year, I was getting outbreaks every 2-3 months, which is the average for gHSV2. gHSV1 is only once a year, if that. Having said that, my outbreaks were pretty mild, even my first outbreak. Now that I'm past my first year, things have settled down significantly.

• Posted

Thanks so much. Are you on medication or do you follow a specific diet?

• Posted

No medication before or currently, and no special diet other than eating even more healthily than I used to (which was relatively healthy anyway). I don't avoid any foods and even have big boozy nights out like I used to do before, lol. I also got into fitness.

• Posted

You're welcome. And hopefully, but I never meet anyone good or worthwhile, lol, so until then it's mostly a bit of kissing for fun. Less hassle sometimes!

• Posted

Thanks. This gives me hope. I haven't even kissed anyone. I think it has really messed with my self-esteem

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.