HSV2 for 10 years, first time with an anal outbreak that hasn't healed in three weeks. Advice needed

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys. So I'm 29 years old, and contracted herpes ten years ago through oral sex. I've been really lucky all this time, I go through years at a time without an outbreak, and when I do a course of Valtrex usually clears it up no problems. This past year or so it has gotten worse, two or three outbreaks a year - which is still manageable. However, this is the first time I've ever had a sore present in my anal area. I experience prodrone symptoms about three weeks ago and started taking 1g Valtrex a day, and when I noticed the sore near my anus I upped the dosage to 2g a day. Usually this would clear it up in about a week or so. I also use propolis liquid on the sores, and took 3g of Lysine supplements a day as well.

All of this combined has not helped the sore clear up, and in the last few days I have now noticed a lot of fissures in my anus as well. They're not super painful, just really itchy (waking up in the middle of the night due to the itch for two weeks now), and I have no blisters or sores around my vaginal area (thank god) although that area does get quite itchy as well. 

I don't know what else to do. I've been taking 2g Valtrex daily for nearly three weeks now (which isn't cheap) and have been diligently applying propolis/tea tree oil to the sore and fissures, but every time I go to the toilet they obviously get irritated and seems like they will never heal sad I have an appointment with a gynaecologist in a few days, but I don't know what she could prescribe as I have already been on antivirals for a long time, I've never taken them continuously for this long before without any effect. 

Has anyone else been through this and tell me how could all this possibly heal? The virus is supposed to not replicate when you're on the meds but the sore looks as fresh as it did two weeks ago and shows no sign of healing. I'm starting to feel pretty despondent sad Any advice or information would be really appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Perhaps it's not herpes in that case, so it's a good thing you're going to have it checked up. Are you sure it's HSV2 you have? If you got it from oral and rarely have outbreaks, it sounds more like genital HSV1.

• Posted

I've heard they can move from place to place each outbreak but its funny it hasn't gone away possibly not a herpes sore tho I'm sure you know all the signs and symptoms, I hope these start going away soon

• Posted

Actually, they tend to stay in the same place for the most part, but over time can migrate in some people.
  • Posted

Is propolos and tee tree oil safe/good to apply to the soar or genital area for pain or obreaks???

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.