Hubby Salmonella but not me?

Posted , 4 users are following.

My husband I have just returned from 2 weeks in Mexico. On our last day we both had bad diarreah and I am still the same a week later, he has recovered now.

We both handed in stool samples to our GP and it came back that he has salmonella, but my test was negative. Surely if we live together and for 3 weeks basically have spent together and have the exact same symptoms my test should have also said the same? If I was better now I don't think I'd care as much, however as I have previously suffered from IBS-D which is only under control with anxiety meds, I find this particularly upsetting- I've had enough diarreah in my life now.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

sorry to hear that...i suggest go to health food store and get a FLORA 50 billion critical care probiotic. it worked for me...take one a day and give it a couple of weeks. wont be bad for you and i still take it...it is good for gut bacteria. good luck..

• Posted

It is possible you both caught different stomach infections. Yours may be lasting longer because it has flared up your IBS. Catching a stomach bug can make IBS? Try not to get upset because stress and anxiety will aggravate your IBS. Try Imodium to control the diarrhoea; I have IBS and it works for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.