Huge Boils For 7 years on my face.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I’ve had recurring boils on my face for 7 years now, I get them mainly  on my chin but get them on other parts of my face & my shoulders. I’ll get a chin boil at least twice a month, usually after I come off my period. They can be bigger than a 50p and will swell up changing the shape of my face. They can’t be hidden, I usually wear a scarf to cover it if I can. 

I can’t cope anymore & im at the point where I’d be happy to just not exist. 

They last a week & then scab for another so I don’t really get a break from it. 

The doctors are not good, they keep giving me creams & different antibiotics, I had one I took for 8 weeks but couldn’t do anymore as they made me unwell & gave me thrush. 

I asked the doctor if they could test me or my skin to find out what is causing it but they said they can’t do it. I don’t even know 100% that they’re boils, it could be cystic acne

Does anyone have any idea what is causing it? 

Who do I go & see for some advice or to have tests done? A dermatologist or a private gp? I’m so lost & really just can’t deal with this anymore, I don’t know what to do. I couldn’t afford expensive treatment but I might be able to afford a monthly thing. Any advice would be great. 

Thank you. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

  • Posted

    Hi this doesn't sound nice at all!  You need to see a dermatologist as they are the experts in skin problems.  It's no use expecting a GP to know much about them so ask to see a derma.  x

  • Posted

    Liz...are you taking any sort of oral contraceptive?  Some can cause acne and other types are given to get rid of severe acne. Maybe something you can discuss with your GP.   
  • Posted

    Liz, I’m a registered nurse with over 20 years experience. Has a doctor done a culture on the “boil”? Are they like zits/pimples or are they big and puss filled? I would hope that a doctor would do a wound culture on it, but if it keeps coming back and in different locations it could be MRSA, a methicillin resistant staph aureas, it’s a bacteria resistant to many antibiotics.  If it keeps coming back, it may be that it is resistance and not fully treated. If you decide to go to a GP or dermatologist, insist on a wound culture.   Good luck, please post what your doctor recommended, I’d love to hear how you’re doing.  
  • Posted

    It is important to determine the cause of the recurring problem.

    There is a wide range of acne treatment ranging from lasers, medical facials, and even permanent acne treatment using AGNES, a Korea-backed technology. Depending on where you are, I believe not many doctors have AGNES acne treatment.

    Find out more from you local doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.