huge discomfort blow left rib

Posted , 128 users are following.

31/2 yrs ago I had a mild stroke. The morning after I felt a small discomfort on my left side just below my rib. The dr looked and felt but could see or feel nothing. Said it may just go away. Gradually the discomfort got worse and now is sometimes unbearable. It is always present and has indeed reduced my quality of life to a great degree.

I have had CT scan, virtual colonoscopy, endoscopy, chest xray and ultrasound. All negative. I have seen a neurologist and 2 x gut consultants, again nothing.

After all that NOBODY has the slightest idea what is wrong. (this is a time when everybody seems to give up on a patient!)

The discomfort is just like as if someone is pushing their first firmy into the area immediately beneath my left lower rib and I tend to be automatically holding my hand, with some pressure on it, all day for somekind of relief.

Is this a nerve or a gut problem, or anything else and perhaps npthing to do with my stroke after all?

I now have to 'get out of my pram' to get any further tests done. Doctors switch off. Have you tried to push treacle through dry sand?!

I am 67. Has anyone else suffered this problem please?

James

7 likes, 222 replies

222 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi James

Like you I have the same pain and discomfort under the left ribs - likewise a close friend suffers the same. I am 63 years of age and have not suffered a stroke so I don't think this is related in any way to your stroke. I am 63 years of age and like yourself have had all the tests which have come back negative.

Doctor just tends to roll her eyes now and is more or less saying I am imagining it - as I say to these doctors if you had to walk in my shoes for a week you would also be searching for an answer.

Good luck James and I hope you find the answer.

Molly

• Posted

Hello I have been having this problem for awhile it has started again....I get a tingling sensation and it also feels like a baby moving around....It ends with pain so bad I can not get out of the bed....I went to the E.R when I had the pain I had a Cat scan done and found out my small intestines were swollen.... I am not sure if this might be yours and other peoples problem but a cat scan or mri can be done to see if it is your small intestine.
  • Edited

Thank you Molly. Not the good news I wished for. Yes I have told my Dr that he would a lot more quicker if he could experience what I do!! They are all grasping at straws.

My discomfort is just like someone shoving their fist, hard, into the spot just below my left rib. My stroke affected my left side so I thought it was related...perhaps. Whatever it is the discomfort is really affecting my daily life and I am quite low with it. It's my daily main focus which is bad.

Are you being treated at the moment for anything? Is your abdomen ok? Have you had nerve-damage tests?How did yours start? Is it constant? Apologies for all the questions but if we have the same problem I would like to fight for a solution with you. Share notes.

Thanks for your response Molly

James

• Posted

Hi James

In answer to your question 2 things I am being treated for are high blood pressure and an underactive thyroid. I haven't had any nerve damage tests but as I said I have had all the Xrays, colonoscopy, endoscopy, ultrasound etc which all came back negative. My discomfort started a few years ago out of the blue. Cannot explain the feeling but sometimes when I am walking I feel as if there is something catching or rubbing on my ribs - it is always there so like yourself I always focus on it (gp said distract your mind with something else).

My friend who has the same problem has had much the same tests with no result - her gp said she should be glad to find there is 'nothing' wrong with her. At her last appointment the gp arranged for her to have a test for helicobacter and she is now awaiting results from this but I'm sure if you have been to gut consultants they will already have tested for this.

James I don't know who else we can turn to. It is certainly not easy dealing with the situation especially after being told more or less it is all in the imagination.

• Posted

Mollie thanks

There must be 100's of people who have posted this complaint on the internet. I have read many of them. All have the same symptoms as you and me and the bad news is that nobody has foud a solution to the problem.

There have been Drs grasping at straws but none of them know anything at all about this thing. As long as they can add the word Syndrome to the end of anything they can think of they feel this lets them off the hook because a Syndrome can be a number of things brought together. for which there is little understanding and therefore no posssibility of help.

Some Drs think that we are imagining the pain. These Drs just have no idea and live in cloud cuckoo land but they are happy continue to be arrogant in this regard. No Dr wants to learn more about this condition which I find unbelievable. Yes they still get their salary whether they add to their learning or not. They choose, or not. Patient care is a foreign expression to many of them.

I am going to see a Consultant this week. I will ask him if he has heard of anyone with our complaint. My guess is that he will shake his head and look at me very strangely and self-righteously!

All we can do at the moment Mollie is, Splash around in the Water. I will continue to do my best to uncover something. My huge discomfort is driving me forward.

J

• Posted

Hi Molly n James. .I'm in severe pain last couple if days.so tired of it already. .I have been thru this same pain like both..they ate tired of seeing me in ER.they make you think your crazy but we're not.it's so very painful I take pain meds like tramadol maybe 2 at a time but doesn't help at all.I cry cconstant.people keep saying I'm looking for attention..I cry cause the pain is so severe and no one finds nothing wrong. .I hope someone comes out with an answer soon,so very tired of it..my blood pressure is up from stress of it..it's over 5 years already plz God help find out what it is and help all of us plz Lord. Plz if anyone gets an answer inform us..thanks HAPPY EASTER. GOD BLESS. .

• Posted

Hi Guys, sorry to hear about your pain but have you tried yoga or Pilates?

Exercise is a great healer too.  It helps with physical pain and it pushes oxygen around the body which improves everything.  Also try Aqua Aerobics classes which are excellent if you have aches and pains.  Let me know how you all get on.

• Posted

James

If I discover any solution I will contact you and hopefully you will do the same for me. I am hoping that you get some satisfaction when you visit the consultant this week. Please let me know how this goes - will be thinking about you.

Mollie

• Posted

Mollie Today I saw a half decent dr at hospital he listened well. He said this kind of problem can be brought by various thing and he strongly believes that my stroke triggered mine. I told him about you and he said something different triggered yours. He feels sure it is related to neurology alone. It is one of those conditions where you open the door and there is nothing there. He said I have nothing physically wrong with me but he does believe that I have this nasty discomfort. I said do I have to live with it. He said yes.....I said are you absolutely certain, he said yes. He said the pain clinic will help you to deal with it. I think I will skip them.

Not good news for us is it? I will see what he reports to my dr.

James

• Posted

James

I had been thinking about you and hoping you would get some good news from the consultant. It's the most awful blow when you know that something like this is permanent. I don't know about you but for me it affects all aspects of my life because I cannot be bothered with family and company when I am in pain. Unless someone knows what you are going through they cannot understand and my gp hasn't helped my situation by more or less saying it is in the mind.

I have an appointment with a lady doctor in my surgery and I am going to raise the issue with her though I daresay there are notes on my file saying 'all in the mind'. I have been offered antidepressants but as I have said it is the pain issue which is making me depressed.

I will certainly keep you updated James and look forward to hearing what is sent to your doctor in the report.

• Posted

Thanks Mollie

I have booked an appointment for acupuncture next week...will report back with what she says and the report to my Dr

• Posted

I have seen Dr. He has closed the book on me. Nothing more he can do, he says. Just live with it.

The Consultant says that modern medicine does not know the answer to many medical symptoms and mine is one of them.

He appreciates that I have this discomfort but he does not know what causes it and therefore can do nothing for me. I have tried all the tablets that MIGHT work. They didnt.

Just go away and let me sweep this thing under my carpet! (He didnt say this!!)

I am having acupuncture...dont think this will help but it may help me feel better????!

I am to write to the Dr who writes in the Daily Mail each Tuesday. I wonder if my letter will be published?

Please keep me updated Mollie

J

• Posted

James

I was literally thinking about emailing you this morning as I got much the same news yesterday. Apparently, in my case, due to the removal of ovaries consultant said other internal organs can shift about to 'fill the space'. I don't know if this is correct or not but he said much the same - its the only thing he can think of to explain pain and discomfort which they cannot attribute to anything else. I had tried acupuncture for a few months but it didn't make any difference with me. I don't know if it is coincidence that my pain started shortly after my operation but the thought of it being there from now on is awful.

I would go ahead and write to the Dr in the Daily Mail and you never know he may come up with some sort of explanation - at this stage there is nothing to lose.

My friend also got the all clear with the helicobacter test so much the same she has been written off like us.

Please keep me updated on how you are coping James - I think of you often.

Mollie

• Posted

Hi James -

I am 18 Years old and the symptoms that you describe are exactly what I suffer, I went to my GP and they could not suggest anything other than what you have said "It is permanent", I got sent for X-Rays and they could not see anything.

I cannot see it being related to a stroke as I have never had one, so I can't see that as the cause, I am a smoker, have been for a few years, however I don't see how that could cause it either.

My pain feels like it is on the underside of my left ribcage and it feels like someone is putting a knife straight through me, giving serious breathing difficulties, leading to loss of conciousness on several occasions. It is extremely concerning as they seem to be getting worse, and nobody seems to know the cause. Doctors and healthcare professionals seem reluctant to actually seek the cause of this issue. It seems we're on our own.

• Posted

I'm 14 and my pain below my left rib started last night right when I sat down and turned left . And Ive been in pain all night and for what I did is i put my blanket by my rib and it redu
    • Posted

Hello Sarah

there are so many of us who have a pain or discomfort below our ribs. It is unlikely that all the pains are the same as it is so difficult to describe our pains with any accuracy so that they can be compared. It is also unlikely that the cause of our pains is the same for each person. I am not a medical expert but my advice to you is to visit your Doctor to check out your pain. If the Doctor is unsure or you convince him of the discomfort and frequency of the pain you will be sent for further investigation at a hospital.  If this is the case, please go as you have nothing to lose but everything to gain. You are young and you will be treated wonderfully. J

• Posted

I'm 19 and thought this was because of trauma but nothing showed up on my X Ray but you don't get pain for no reason. It seems like it's a relatively common problem so don't see why there's not even the slightest idea why. I can't sit for long periods of times without it hurting and have been told by my college tutor that I'm making it up to get out of practicle work (which I enjoy doing) because the Drs told me there's nothing wrong!

• Posted

I to have the pain n have for awhile it has been said it may be a hernia of some sort but has any of you guys ever crunched over n had something from inside poke out far enough to get stuck on the outside of your rib cage n you have to rub it downward to get it to go back under ribs n is so painful it takes your breath and can feel your heart beat in it it's scarier than what it's sounds

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.