Huge Fatty Liver - has anyone had this happen to them ????????

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone out there had a diffusely fatty liver that swole up so big in them that it made a horrible swollen feeling in your abdomen. I have, it's the only thing it could be. No tumors, cancer or anything else in there. Had every possible procedure and test known to man (2 ct scans, ultra sound, colonoscopy and egd, ultra sound gastric emptying test, all blood tests for any virus or gluten or any other kind of problem and all came back clean. and that's the only thing they found. Besides a small hiatal hernia which just causes acid reflux and heartburn. Also had my gallbladder taken out which was stuck to my transverse colon. From the ct scans i looked at my liver almost touches the top of my pelvic bone and comes over and down a lot further than it should on the other side pushing against the stomach and down and over against every other organ in my abdomen. Been a heavy, heavy, heavy , heavy drinker since my teens. Stopped 1st of June 2017. This swollen feeling in my abdomen is a real killer. Been told it could take couple of years or more to get fat out and go back down in size. Liver fibers are still good according to fibroscan and no cirrohsis according to ct's and fibroscan. It's just an extremely fatty HUGGGEE !! Liver. I just want to know if there is another person on the planet that has had this happen to them. I went mental before the swelling really started too. Brain fog, undecisiveness, slow movement, panic attacks and shaking from inside out. Is there anyone out there who has had this happen to them besides me ??????????

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I drank heavy for over 30 years before I got sick with alcoholic fatty liver.  Couldn't sleep on my right side, as my liver pushed on my stomach causing reflux.  I had a sharp increase in symptoms when I quit drinking for around 90 days.  Liver felt like a smoldering charcoal fire in my belly, & scared the heck out of me.  Brain fog, anorexia and anxiety ruled, 24/7.  

Was back on an even keel after 6 months, & an ASH Fibrosure showed F-0, NO fibrosis.  

My fatty liver went down the first few months of my recovery.  Many X-Drinkers develop a sweet tooth, & this can cause non-alcoholic fatty liver to persist.  Avoid sodas (high fructose corn syrup) like the plague, and restrict other sweets, and you should improve swiftly.  

Keep the faith all will come right in the end.  Most X-Drinkers do remarkably well, provided they clean up their act before they have advanced symptoms (acute alcoholic hep, ascites or jaundice).  

Alcoholic liver recovery usually happens for most of us.  It just take a bit longer than we think it should.  

• Posted

Thanks,

That gives me some hope. It'll probably just take more time than what i expect. When you had your swollen fatty liver did you notice any redness on your face and darker places under your eyes. had this every since all this started too. Between the mental stuff when it all started and the swollen abdomen, this thing has pretty well been my worst nightmare. The weird thing about it too is that doctors won't say it even is the liver causing it, cause all the liver enzymes come back normal. When you ask them well, if it isn't the liver, which i know it is, it's the only thing it could be. What is it? They just shrug their shoulders and say, I don't know. That really leaves you in a good state of mind. 

• Posted

No redness or dark eyes, but I did pop out quite a few blood vessels on my face & chest.  

Don't know if your doc's allow supplements, but I took some lecithin, which I believed helped shift the fat out of my liver.  Best to ask your doc about this before you try it though.  

• Posted

I was looking for information on how to reverse fatty liver naturally and a colleague recommended this site 

to me and I subscribed to it and it has really paid off. So you can check it out

Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

• Posted

Hi

Could you send me the info regards helping my liver.

I have fatty liver.

Ive not been back to docs to discuss the ultra sound. The operator told me it was bright indicating fatty liver.

Help

• Posted

Hi Wendy, don't know if junijas is still following this thread, but hope you get started on the road to recovery soon.  

Fatty liver is more associated with dietary sugars than fats.  High fructose corn syrup in sodas is particularly notorious for fatty liver, so if you've been drinking a lot of soda, simply cutting these out will help a lot.  I substituted ice tea (unsweetened) for sodas when I got fatty liver, & found I actually preferred this to sodas.  

Alcohol is also strongly associated with fatty liver.  A couple of drinks on the weekend may be OK, but if you tipple every evening this will have to go.  

Nutritionist's often recommend you keep a diary of everything you eat & drink for a week or so, and then go over this with them.  Sometimes you can spot problem areas on your own.  

Hope you can fix this without too much sacrifice.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.