Huge ovarian cyst 10cm x 8cm x 14cm

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi I have just found out that I have a massive cyst on my right ovary which is partially blocking my ureathra and if not removed may cause kidney damage... I had an ultrasound last Thursday and my doctor sent me straight to emergency as she thought it was already causing damage. I had blood tests , Urine tests and a vaginal exam and apparently my kidneys and other tests came back fine and because the cyst didn't hurt when the doctor felt it they sent me home. I then got a call from the clinical nurse on the Monday advising they received my test results and wanted to do a CT Scan... I asked how my blood results were and the nurse said most came back fine however a couple were a little elevated but it could be for various reasons ... I got so upset and asked if I was dying she kind of laughed and said no I wasn't which made me feel a bit better but still freaked out... anyway I went and got my CT scan done and apparently it is a large cyst with multiple irregular septations ... my lymph nodes are all good as well as my other organs however on the end of the report it said unable to rule out malignancy due to size and imagery of the cyst and that's freaking me out even more .... my GP was a lot more positive when she got these results advising that yes the cyst is big and the septations are a bit of a worry but as everything else came back fine in the scan she said this is a good thing ... she feels it may be a big mass of endometriosis ... I really hope she is right ... I have my appointment with the gyno on Friday morning I am so anxious I kno I will need surgery and I am not scared about that ... I am frightened about what this mass is... i am only 31 with no other health problems but jeez I'm terrified... is it a good thing that my scan shows no other abnormal things in other organs and my lymph nodes arnt enlarged?? And if my bloods came back with something really bad would the gyno have made me come in earlier?? I have done nothing but google stuff ever since last Thursday and I'm running on very little sleep im so so scared 😥...

3 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hello 

That is terrifying! But please do not worry - it sounds to me like a dermoid cyst, rather than a liquid filled one. I have a grapefruit sized dermoid cyst on my left ovary and had that removed and I lost my ovary and fallopian tube too because the cyst had engulfed them! I had a caesarian type incision and had 6 weeks off work. 

The surgery is fine and recovery fairly easy - scar has almost faded after 2 years. 

With any lump or bump it is common for them to check CP levels etc and they would do a CT Scan before the op anyway to see what they were dealing with. I had an internal ultrasound scan as well.

They will look at the lump when they have removed it to check it isn't cancerous - all fairly standard stuff and it is for your peace of mind too. I would just put your trust in the doctors - they know what they are doing and will help you get back to normal. 

I had recurring kidney stones and that is how they found my cyst, at the time they thought that the cyst was causing my kidney problems but I have had another Kidney stone since they now don't know! I have heard of other women having cystitis and other infections because of their cysts though.

I wish you luck - try not to panic, whatever happens, you will be in good hands and it will be sorted.The waiting is a killer, just keep busy and find something else to concentrate on.

A

• Posted

Try not to worry I know its hard but mine was septated and had mural nodules all signs of cancer.My ca 125 was elevated at  65 then 85. They put on my Ct scan suspected cancer and it wasnt . I did have a huge cyst 37 cm. it was bigger than a basket ball. Its good  all your organs and lymph node are normal. Most cysts arent cancer. Make a list of all your questions for the doctor.i will keep you in my thought and prayers. Your going to be fine. confused
  • Posted

Sorry your going through this. Your still young and that lowers your chances of cancer enormously. I know it is worrying you and understandably so however you do not know anything until you speak to the gyanea on Friday. Try not to worry, wait until you have spoken to the dr as no doubt they will put your mind at ease. You cant do anything either way until then.

Stop reading horror stories.

I had a 10cm cyst which was removed and it turned out to be endemetrioma (chocolate cyst). Histology came back clear of any cancer

Below is some more impartial information that may be of use:

Age is a major risk factor for ovarian cancer; the median age at diagnosis is 63 years. In the reproductive-age group, ovarian cysts are much more likely to be functional than neoplastic. Epithelial cancers are rare before the age of 40.

In every age group a cyst is more likely to be benign than malignant, although, as noted above, the probability of malignancy increases with age.

Family history of ovarian, breast, endometrial, or colon cancer is of particular interest. The greater the number of affected relatives and the closer the degree of relation, the greater the risk. However, only 10% of ovarian cancers occur in patients who have a family history of it, leaving 90% as sporadic occurrences.

Factors protective against ovarian cancer include use of oral contraceptives at any time, tubal ligation, hysterectomy, having had children, breastfeeding, a low-fat diet, and possibly use of aspirin and acetaminophen.

• Posted

Hello Shay try not to worry I have a large mass the size of yours on my right ovary and on my left ovary I have a small cyst I just found out I have a small tumor on my uterus which I was not made aware of by my old GYN doctor in 2010 menu GYN doctor sent me to a oncologist GYN doctor he looked at my c-125 report which was negative the c-125 report is blood work for cancer the oncologist GYN doctor ask me about having surgery I told him not right now but think about it he told me to go home and think about it .Since he does all oncology GYN and regular GYN I decided to stay with him because I had gotten a second opinion they wanted to give me a complete hysterectomy with a conventional open surgery but the oncologist GYN told me he could give me minimally invasive surgery with laparoscopic so I'm staying with him I'm going this Friday to find out what type of procedure he would be using and what he would be doing to me in the surgery I am I'm a little nervous but I have to get this out of me to get better. So Shay I'm sure if it was anything really bad with you they would have been put you in the hospital by now. You aND myself will be OK but we need the surgery to get better so take care and let me know when you're having your surgery and so will I and also when it's done

• Posted

Hi Shay it's me again Dee, I forgot to tell you I had a transvaginal sonogram and a pelvic sonogram done every month for two months now since they found the cysts they all showed simple ovarian cyst which are fluid-filled cysts. I keep them monitored until I'm having my surgery You Are Young and I am older you and myself will be fine take care and do what your GYN doctors suggest you do

• Posted

Thank you all so much for your advice and kind words ... I will keep you updated once we find out what's going on tomorow 💜

• Posted

I just had laparoscopic surgery 2 days ago to get rid of a 13cm mass on my left ovary. I was petrified it was cancer. My ca125 cancer blood test was elevated and i literally had myself in panic mode and knew it was cancer. But. It was benign. Now I am relieved . My doc told me that I had the mass for a lonng time. And if it were bad it would have been aggressive. Made me feel 100% better. In sure youre probably the same smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.