Huge Ovarian Cyst, pelvic laparotomy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 23 years old and was diagnosed with a huge ovarian cyst measuring 30cm. My doctor had me tested for a tumor marker CA 125, thank God it turned out normal. At first i thought i was only getting fat, so i tried to lose a little bit of weight and then my stomach stayed round making me look like i'm almost 9months pregnant. Anyway my surgery is in two days, pelvic laparotomy with possible salphingooophorectomy. They will also do a frozen section, to confirm whether my cyst is benign or malignant. That's what worries me and my family. Im also worried i might lose both my ovaries, i wanted to have kids in the future. Any advise regarding this surgery and also about the recovery

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Good morning,

Sorry that I don't have any useful advise but I just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery after surgery, i'm sure someone will have some useful advise shortly!

Good luck, Lucy smile

• Posted

Hi Lucy! Thank you so much! Advise or no advise I appreciate your reply and concern. Thank you so much again! 😊

• Posted

Hi there,

I'm 25 and back in August of 2016 (when I was 24) I also discovered I had a large ovarian cyst, measuring 30cm. I feel your pain. I didn't have any symptoms other than weight gain, and a "bloated" stomach making me look pregnant but I chalked it up to weight gain in my stomach.

Due to my age, the size and the type of cyst the assumed it was via CT scan, it was unlikely to be malignant - and it was benign. All my tumor marks were normal as well and they took a biopsy during surgery to confirm.

Due to the size of my cyst, they couldn't do laproscopy so I had to have a laparotomy - they told me to be prepared to lose my right ovary and fallopian tube, and I expected to be cut wide open - but when I woke up from surgery, I had all my organs intact and my incision was a 3 inch opening horizontally on my bikini line. I was in the hospital recovering for 2 and a half days, and then for about 4 weeks at home before I went home - you're young like me, you'll probably bounce back quickly! My cyst was a toral of 11 pounds (which I lost instantly) and they drained 6 litres of fluid.

I had a gynecologist oncologist due my surgery and I'm so glad I did, it made all the differnce. My GP sent me over to my preffered surgeron (one of the best in the state) and I had surgery booked within 2 weeks due to the size of the mass - they were just worried it could possibly wrap around my ovaries and cause a torsion. Thankfully it didn't! This was all discovered during a regular doctor's visit, and I'm constantly asking myself how I didn't realize this was growing inside me - but I had no idea!

Good luck! You'll do great!

• Posted

Hi! @justfromerica! I'm so glad you replied. Your story gave me relief. Due to its size my doctors cant determine whether it's from my right or left. I didnt undergo ct scan though just an abdominal and transvaginal ultrasound done twice by two different doctors. So far the assessment based in the ultrasound shows that it is benign. My obgyne said the cut will be midline since it has reached my abdomen. I'm glad your surgery turned out okay 😊 I hope mine does too.. thank you so much for your reply again! I'll give an update after my surgery!

• Posted

Yeah keep us updated!

I had an abdominal ultrasound too, but it was inconclusicve, just showed a "very large cystic mass" so they sent me for an CT scan the same day.

Have you gone for all your pre-surgery bloodwork?

Not sure where you're located, but the process was pretty fast for me overall - I know some places the weight for a consult let alone surgery is months long.

• Posted

Yeah i did all the pre-surgery blood work. Everything was good and normal. My obgyne did a papsmear too. I'm from the Philippines btw. 😊 Just like you it was about two weeks before i got a schedule for my surgery. Everything was fast. I want this over and done as soon as possible. It's worrying knowing something like this is inside you.

• Posted

hi, I am going for surgery on tuesday, 28 cm cysyt removal, CA125 test was 233, so having a full hysterectomy and appendix removal, I am 43 and will go into menapause, but i dont care, I just want it out x
  • Posted

Hi everyone! My operation turned out to be successful. My incision was so huge it almost reached to my chest. My cyst was a size of a basketball and very heavy. Thank God it turned out benign. My doctor was able to preserved my left ovary which means i still have a chance to have kids in the future! 😊 Im still recovering, small steps. Hopefully by next week i can walk on my own.

• Posted

Glad you are in the healing stage. Just take each day slow and steady and you will be back to yourself in a flash...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.