Human Scratches (4yo Son)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

My 4yo son is being repeatedly attacked at preschool by another boy (he always tells me the same name when the teacher tells me about his injuries at collection) this boy scratches his face aggressively and draws blood.

While this is being dealt with by the school, I'm concerned about (a possible coincidence) within 24 hours of every scratch my son develops a fever and lethargy, shaking, loss of appetite. I can only find information online about cat scratches but should I be concerned now that this has happened 3 times in a very short period? (3 in the past 4 weeks) what if anything could this be?

I know small children get ill, especially at nursery, but thats usually a cold each month and only a vomiting bug once in the past year. Could this be from dirty fingernails? an infection? something the teachers aren't telling me like spitting? an allergic reaction to something they're putting on the injury afterwards?

The first time it happened my husband called me at work to say he was unwell and I assumed he was faking it to get away from this boy, lo and behold, a fever of 39. The second time I took him to the dr where they found nothing wrong with him and it was "probably just a virus". Now it's happened again?!

Thank you if you've made it this far and sorry for the long post (rant!)

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I'd be very concerned if this were my little boy, too! Here's what I would do:

1. Three reactions like this and 'probably just a virus' diagnosis? I'd want to ask the doctor to do a blood test the next time it happens. Which I hope it doesn't.
    2. Does your doctor know the link between the incident and the symptoms - each time?
    3. Write a letter to the school, listing your concerns and questions, and asking for their advice and response.
    4. Could it be a psychosomatic reaction your son is experiencing?

I hope someone posts a more knowledgeable response. I'm not a doctor or a nurse, but I am a cognitive behavioural therapist and know the benefit of being able to address a concern effectively. What's happening is wrong and you are right to be worried.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.