Humidity worsens rhinitis, dehumidifier helps?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there. My name is Antonio, I'm a non allergic rhinitis sufferer since 2014. After two turbinate reductions and constant Fluticasone treatment I'm feeling a lot better, and now life circumstances might force me to move to London.

The thing is, I live in the south of Spain, in a dry climate, and humidity really takes a toll on my health (my nose swells inside and gets obstructed again). I was thinking about using a dehumidifier at might, to give my nose some rest, but don't know if that will help. Anyone has tried it, or knows of different ways to deal with humidity such as this?

I found out this year that I also suffer from hypothyroidism (not a lot though) and celiac disease, both under control now. Just mentioning It since I know sometimes rare diseases like NAR are somehow related to other conditions.

Looking forward to your answers, any light on the matter will be highly appreciated!

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Antonio! I used to live in a very hot tropical humid climate. After we moved there, a few years later I developped the worst allergy, my nose got blocked completely and just stayed that way.

I had only one turbinate reduction which did not help at all. I tried zillions of sprays, did not help either.

I had (and still have)  a dehumidifier. No, it did not help at all. And the reason is I suppose, because your sinus need time to adjust, so unless you dehumidify everything, it wouldn't work. Air condition maybe a better option.

I didn't quite get it what you were saying, you live Sth of Spain in a dry climate but want to move to London?

What makes you think that humidity takes a toll on you? Were you living in a humid area before?

Interestingly I also have hypothyroidism. Taking thyroxine every day. I don't think it's related to the allergy.

Since I moved to a drier  climate 3 yrs ago I'm ok. Minor obstruction over night, but otherwise I'm good.

Maybe you wouldn't need any dehumidifier anyway for London,  it's not really humid, not like a tropical place anyway. Just awful miserable weather.

For me the tropics are a no go zone! Also cruising is out of my travel list. If I had to move again, I would stay away from coastal areas.

• Posted

Hi care4health, and thank you for your answer. My first turbinate reduction didn't help at all either. In the second, they reduced my turbinates to its limit, and it brought me back to life.

Regarding the dehumidifier, my idea would be to use it (16L capacity, 300 Watt) for just my room during the nights. You think that wouldn't be enough? Is It better a portable air conditioner then? I don't know how should I use it though, I guess you are referring to some "dry" mode, right?

I might have to move to London for work purposes. My concern is that earlier this year I went to Barcelona and couldn't stand its humid climate, and the same happened two years ago when I went to the north of Spain (basque country). My nose just shutted and the feeling of pressure was just incredible. So, London might be even worse, but I want to try everything before turning down the offer.

That's why any advice is more than welcome, thanks!

• Posted

Well, you will need to see at first, maybe London wouldn't be a problem at all. But if it is, I'm not sure how the dehumidifier would solve your problem. Even if it works for you, it would be only when you are at home. What will you do at work or outside?

Would you be able to give it a go and if your allergy comes back return to Spain? I would''t give up my job there, maybe you could take a few weeks leave and when you sure about it then resign from your current one?

I know that pressure feeling from the blocked sinuses. it's horrible. I wouldn't return to the tropics, even if they offered me a million $.

But London is not the tropics, hopefully you will be ok there

• Posted

Yeah, my plan is to go for a few days in November and see how It goes. If it goes well, I'll stay longer to make sure. I don't have a job and the work market is terrible in this country, lots of unemployment, that's where my desperation comes from.

I know It would only work at home, but maybe that's enough to give my sinus some rest and decongest a little bit, in case it finally works.

I am not very optimistic about this trip though, that's why I keep asking for further help and advice.

Anyway, thanks a lot!

• Posted

Hello,  I too suffer Rhinitis quiet severely.  I live in England, so don't get an awful lot of humidity with our Summers.  However, the damp weather affects me badly.  I think I could suffer the Sinus and rhinitis issues it it didn't cause Eustachian Tube Dysfunction.  so many on this Forum suffer ETD and it the worse thing ever.

I use Flixonase Aqueous Nasal Spray and have done for years and years, but now I think the time has come that it no longer works for ETD and at present using Flixonase Nasules that are stronger.  Being an Allergy and sinus sufferer, I think I have to just grin and bear it and it an ongoing cycle.

Regards

Anne

• Posted

Hi Anne, I hear about a lot of people using Flixonase Nasule drops, kind of reminds me of Tobradex, a powerful chorticosteroid I often used before surgery, only as a rescue medication. However, is it safe? Cause being 400 mcg of fluticasone (15 times more than the dosage I use) It might enter your system and make you prone to lots of side effects, for example reducing the amount of natural chorticosteroids the body produces, or deactivating the inmune system.

What did your doctor say? Is it safe to use it permanently?

• Posted

Hello again Antonio,

Yes, you're quite correct these Nasules are so much stronger than the Flixonase Nasal Spray.  However, because I've used the spray for so long now, it no longer works for me.  I'm due to see my ENT consultant in February and I will discuss with him how I am now using the Nasules.  Since April this year when I experienced a particularly nasty bout of ETD and even suffering a perforated left eardrum I was put on Prednisolone (20 day reducing course) just to get rid of all the inflammation, the swelling of my tubes was making drainage impossible.  After that I started using the Flixonase Nasules for the 6 weeks maximum course.  I found my smell and taste returned too once all the inflammation had gone and Tinnitus much lower.  Usually after that I revert back to the Flixonase spray.  This time I didn't, but only used the nasule drops as and when I needed them.  I can go a maximum of between 5/6 days now before my ears re-block.  I then put them up, give a gentle pop and the tubes behave themselves for another 5/6 days.  Happily, I'm not having to use them every day, but while I was, it did concern my ENT consultant.  Hopefully, in February next year I'll still be doing as I am at the moment.  I'll have to wait and see what he thinks.

It's such an awful condition to suffer I couldn't possibly put up with it without intervention of some sort.  I've now suffered ETD since the 1980's....so a very long time.

I've had to take Prednisolone steroid tablets over the years to control my asthma.  However, asthma completely controlled these days, but the ETD has taken over.  Prednisolone is far worse to have to take than steroid drops or sprays.  However, some people and I know two, that have been on Prednisolone for several years due to the fact they suffer from Rheumatoid Athritis and cannot be without it.  I think if the Flix Nasules aren't overused, it should be alright.  Speak with your doctor to get the correct advise.  No one should have to suffer ETD for months and years on end.

Regards

Anne

• Posted

Hi Antonio. I have swollen turbinates (glands in nose) caused by allergies with asthma. The turbinates have been a big issue since June and I've tried numerous medications and am on the waiting list for surgery. I live in South Australia which is suppose to be quite a dry location but our weather fluctuates. For example today it was 24 centigrade and tomorrow it will be 38. We get a fair share of both rainy cool days and very hot days. On dry days I sometimes use a humidifier with eucalyptus oil and that seems to help a little but on humid days I'm considering getting a dehumidifier. Can't hurt to try but don't expect a miracle. Rhinitis gets triggered by seemingly random things, often idk why some days are worse than others. I hope that the change in climate doesn't affect you. It's a good idea to take a holiday there first. 

• Posted

I live in England and changes in our weather conditions play havoc with my sinuses and allergies.  My nose also gets really blocked up when I get too hot and that includes being in-doors.  I too suffer Asthma, but that's been controlled for a very long time now.  Sadly, the ETD has taken over and in my opinion one of the worse conditions to suffer, day in and day out.  No matter how hard I try to eliminate house dust, it's nigh on impossible....I know that's another trigger for me.  Plus animal dander and different pollen's and tree mould in the Winter months.

Anne

• Posted

Hi Anne. How did you control you asthma? I tend to have times where I won't need my ventolin for weeks and then some weeks I need it almost daily. Sometimes it's hard to tell whether I'm not getting enough air down due to asthma or a blocked nose. You can see my post about my condition if you like. ETD sounds horrible to live with. I've always had issues with excess ear wax and get them syringed at the doctor about every 4 months. She tells me to put it off as long as possible. Yes it's an endless battle trying to be hyper-vigilant of allergens. 

• Posted

Hello again,  Happy to report that my preventative inhaler called Qvar has really helped me.  I have one puff in the mornings and one before going to bed.  If I find I'm getting a little wheezy now the Winter is upon us in England, I'll use 2 puffs instead.  Rarely have to use my Ventolin at all these days.  So lucky too, that I rarely catch colds as that makes asthma really bad.  I take a supplement of Vit C through the Winter, which I think helps.

If you live in a hot country, humidity will aggravate asthma too and of course damp cold weather.

Regards 

Anne

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.