humira

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi tried all normal drugs for RA been on hydrochloriqyine for 2 years and benepali for 10 months with 5mg of prednidlone been reducing steroids slowly and pain increasing again slowly got down to 1mg but pain is unbearsble again. Hands are worse than ever. They want to change to humaira . Does anyone have any suggestions or help. Also tried vibration therapy as muscle waisting away. Anyone tried this . Have now ordered a zencure machine with cold light therepy just desperate to reduce the pain. Anyone tried this. Help lol xx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have been on HUMIRA shortly after my diagnosis 13 years ago. I have no joint damage and very little pain. Everyone is different and not everything works for everyone but I would certainly give it a try.

• Posted

If 5mg of pred does the job - why can't you stay on it? There are rheumatologists who advocate the use of low dose pred when it works well. At 5mg you are well into the physiological dose range - our body requires the equivalent of about 7.5mg pred to function properly and produces it in the form of cortisol. While you are on enough pred, your body produces no cortisol, as you reduce the pred dose the body must start to produce cortisol to top it up so the amount of corticosteroid remains constant.

I have a vasculitis and have been on pred for over 9 years now (there is no alternative) with no adverse effects at all - and if I could get down to 5mg I would be ecstatic! The biggest claim against pred is that patients develop osteoporosis - in fact that isn't necessarily so, my bone density hasn't changed at all despite being on between 10 and 15mg/day for several years. The PPI drugs they give us to "protect our stomach" are even more likely to cause loss of bone density - but they don't make a fuss about them! The side effects at 5mg are minimal but most pred side effects can be managed well when you know how. Many doctors are scared of pred - but it has been in use for over 60 years and there is very little that isn't known about its adverse effects. Which is a great deal more than can be said about many of the new drugs. I'm not saying they aren't good things very often - but pred has a role to play too.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12386945

• Posted

Hello

I,m on Humira and have been since it was launched. It transformed me from being at home as couldnt work to going back to my job ( self employed builder). I still get pain but all pain is controllable with the right meds. I'm 61 now and ive been on Humira about 16 yrs roughly and i,m still working. A good pain relieving gel called Biofreeze from a company called physio Med may help if you dont wish to take to many painkillers. You have to find out what work,s best for you.

Take care and i wish you well

Regards Gaz

• Posted

Yes, I suffered terrible pain until they put me on Humira. Miracle drug. Takes a good month before you start feeling improvement. I also had muscle wasting but that started getting better as I started to feel better and became more active. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.