HumirA

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am supposed to start Humira soon. My husband and I have been doing some research on it. Honesty it scared the hell out of me. so my question is the the POSSIBLE benefits out way the Risks .

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jessica, i understand your reservations about Humira. we just started our son on it 3 weeks ago.he will soon be 12 . for him, we were out of options. so far no side effects. his spots may seem a bit faded? its so hard to tell and judge. we take pictures and compare that way. yes, its a scary drug- but proven to work. good luck:)

• Posted

My doctors have told me I'm stage 4. They dont even have a stage 4 anymore. I've had so many surgery's, and meds. I am not a candidate for accutane so this is my last hope. but my mom and grandmother had cancer. so I'm not sure if the benefits outweigh the risk at this point .

• Posted

I'm sorry. It sounds like you have had quite the experience. i don't have any advice for you, only to say that i wish you well.

• Posted

Hi Jessica. I feel for you. These are such difficult questions to give input to since so many factors are different. I trust you'll make the right decision with the info you have at hand and intuition. My daughter is at an earlier stage and so far we've opted out of Humira for obvious reasons. She is trying the natural route instead. Too early to report on progress yet. Perhaps start on immune strengthening supplements if they will not interfere with whatever you'll be taking. Of course many doctors don't know, nor believe in supplements. If you search this forum some people have reported on their Humira experiences. All the best.

• Posted

it is very dangerous I tried it three years ago, it worked for a while, but then the hidradenitis came back with a vengeance. Not only that but I almost lost eyesight so my dr took me off of it. talk to your dr about Clobetisol ointment its a steroid ointment and it is the best. humira is good but very dangerous.

• Posted

So sorry you are having to battle this horrible disease. I feel your pain. For years my Drs encouraged me to try Humira. I felt the same as you. Scared to death! I finally gave in to the pain and gave it a shot (no pun intended)

In addition to being afraid of the side effects, I was worried about giving myself the injections. They weren't bad. No where near the pain we suffer with HS! In a very short time I experienced a dramatic change in my condition. It was so much better! Unfortunately within just a couple months I had my 1st spot of skin cancer. I went off of the Humira and have since had 3 additional skin cancers removed. All within 1 year of starting Humira. Luckily for me I've caught them all quickly. I don't believe that this is a coincidence. I continue to live in the physical and mental pain that this NASTY disease brings. As I feel that it is the lesser of two evils. So, thats my 2 cents. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you well. ❤

• Posted

I took Humira for two years for my HS and it worked very well. I stopped taking it because I became afraid of the cancer risk when I remembered that my grandmother had breast cancer. I had a scare myself when, during my first mammogram at age 40 late last year, they found two lumps. All these cancer scares scared me away from the risks of Humira. I'm sad, too, because when I was taking it, it worked very well for the HS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.