Humira for AS advice?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm about to start Humira to treat AS and I'm probably reading too much about the "Humira burn" and pain after injection. Is it really that bad? How long does it last? Given how debilitating AS can be I'd be surprised if the treatment made me feel worse!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

hi I was on humira awhile ago now and had no problems with injections or injection site

• Posted

hi Teri,

I tried Humira about 8 yrs ago. The shot itself is like a jab and then you have to wait holding the injection pen against your skin until the medication unloads. That's the same as my Cosentyx pen now and it takes less than a minute but you are right that is but a moment compared to the pain of AS. I hope it works for you. I was not able to take that one because of the peripheral joint pain it caused.

• Posted

Hi Lilly

How far into treatment did you notice the peripheral joint pain? I had my first injection on Friday and my ankles and knees have been very stiff and sore since. It's probably too soon to be related to the Humira, but it's a new symptom for me so it's suspicious. Thanks!

• Posted

Hi Teri,

My reaction happened within one week of the injection. It was painful enough that i could not lay one knee on top of the other when i tried to sleep on my side. The same reaction occurred with Remicade but not with Cosentyx, supposedly because it targets a different immunity cell.

i hope your joint pain passes quickly. Mine would resolve after a few weeks.

• Posted

Thank you! My pain isn't nearly that bad. Good to know it might go away too!

• Posted

Ive come to, in some weird way, enjoy the burn of the shot because humira has totally knocked out my AS pain. I had horrible back pain, planter faciatis, rib cage pain, sacroiliitis, and iritis in my eye.. MY Humira treatments knocked them all out in a matter of weeks.. So, if the medicine works for you, the pain of the shot is literally a welcomed change. furthermore, if you let the injection reach room temperature, maybe for about an hour, and then inject in the fat of your leg, sometimes I can barely even feel it. stomach is much more painful. But again, so worth it. good luck!

• Posted

Thank you! So the burn is just at the time of injection, not a prolonged thing? I'm so hopeful this works. I'm 48 and have dealt with back, rib, pelvic, hip, heel and sciatic pain for too many years. The last few days are particularly hard with mid-back pain thats radiating around to my lower ribs in my abdomen. Drives me nuts! And I'm not sure if its AS or something else. It's not the worst pain ever, but its enough to limit what I can do. Praying this is my last NE Eve with a heating pad!

• Posted

After Xrays found my mid-back pain was due to Osteoarthritis and Degenerative Discs. My time on Humira did not help these particular pains. Best

• Posted

Hi! I was on Humira for 5 yrs. I didn't experience any Burn. I used the Pen. Sometimes There's a little sting with the Pen but think it's more on how you hold the skin (pinch). I'm on Cosentyx now and had my Dr prescribe the prefilled syringe. Like it better. Best!

• Posted

I was on humira i didnt have any problems except it hurt when i injected it but honestly dont google it makes everything seem 100 times worse and if you have a decent gp they are pretty quick to make sure ypu dont have any adverse affects

good luck i hope it works for you 😃

• Posted

If you let the Humira warm up for about an hour before you inject, the burning sensation is reduced. Everyone has different pain thresholds, so it's difficult to answer this. It hurts far less than any nerve pain I've had from AS, it hurts less than a bee sting, it hurts less than a kidney stone, but you will feel something. I've got a fairly high pain threshold, so I can't say it bothered me. It's similar to the burning sensation from having an anesthetic like propofol injected, probably a little worse.

I would not stress about this, if it helps your AS.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.