Humira, Hidradenitis Superativa and Breast Cancer Risk

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi.

I've been taking Humira for almost two years for my HS. It just dawned on me that since my grandmother had breast cancer, I'm already at an increased risk of getting breast cancer. Also, Humira causes an increased risk of developing cancer. So, that's two strikes against me when it comes to the risk of developing breast cancer.

I'm thinking it would be wise for me to stop the Humira. Has anyone stopped taking the Humira? If so, does the HS come back with a vengeance, even worse than what it was before the Humira? Also, has anyone stopped taking the Humira because of the fear of developing cancer?

Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi yes I took it and it almost sent me blind. My eyes were so red it was unbelievable, my dermatologist said i couldn't have anymore. The Hidradenitis did come back with a vengeance. just be careful i saw where someone said humera was a poison. it has so many side effects, even though it works, it is very dangerous. I wish you the best im going to see what other meds my dermatologist can try on me. Also i tried Acutane it gives suicidal thoughts. Just be careful. best of luck ti you

• Posted

Thanks for your response, Sandra. Luckily I haven't had any side effects with the Humira, but the increased cancer risk scares me.

I don't think I will ask for Acutane because I already suffer from depression.

I guess I will just have to live with the HS, which I did for years before a dermatologist put me on Humira. The Humira did wonders for my HS but I don't like the anxiety of worrying about cancer.

Thanks again for your response. I wish you the best of luck with treatment and other aspects of your life.

• Posted

I have been on humira for 2yrs now and recently had my 1st pap smear since starting humira. Unfortunately, it came back abnormal and I have had to go through several procedures. Now I am facing a hysterectomy if my next pap is abnormal. in 3 months and I have been told to be expecting that. The good news is that my HS is under control besides during my cycle I usually get one very small sore. Also, I don't want anymore children so I have no need for my uterus. The concern is real but you are the only one that can decide if its right for you and if the benefits are worth the risk. My dermatologist wanted me off humira but my other drs. want me on it because it has helped me so much. I choose to stay on it. Also, I developed pustular psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis from humira so I just may be a rare case but all medication have risk. If you choose to stop humira I would look into dietary changes, metformin or spirlacotone. Thats what I have found has helped other HS patients. Best wishes and I hope this helps you make the right discission for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.