Humira less effective

Posted , 4 users are following.

Ive been on Humira for about 3 years. For the last year it hasn't had the same effect as when I started. A year ago they tested antibodies but it was fine so they wanted me to stay in Humira. Now for the last couple of months it's been getting worse and worse. I take Humira every second week and now it have effect for less than one week. I have an appointment with my rheumatologist this Friday, they might change treatment now. Today I also have pain in my eye in which I had several uveitis before the Humira treatment, hopefully it's not a uveitis again. I've also had menorrhagia (period for 2.5 weeks and counting).

Anyone else who have lost effect of Humira and

changed treatment?

Anyone had menorrhagia as a side effect of Humira?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hello there

I am an AS patient and started with Humira as my first anti TNF treatment. it worked brilliantly for a year and then stopped being so effective and i got flu like symptoms when i took it. I've since had Enbrel and I'm now on my 3rd anti TNF called Cimzia. this third treatment has been working well for 4+ years, so there is hope that you could get the same effect as your first year on Humira again with an alternative treatment.

Good luck with it

• Posted

hey

humira was my first anti tnf it worked a treat for a few years then it started giving me fku symptoms snd my body started reacting to it it it took me almost 6 months to realise the small rashes getting worse were not food related. i ended up having a anathalactic reaction (my spelling is atrocious today).

they changed me to cimzia which is almost identically synthesized with human genetics and i reacted with severe itching within 5/6 months. apparently they do both together as your more likely yo react to both of these and if youv reacted to one you react to the other.

iv now been on embrel for almost 4/5 years and its great it has periods where my AS flares up and i dont feel so good but i have less colds or issues with embrel overall. iv hsd the odd rash and i generally feel like hell straight after it and i have a few other possible biological caused side effects like coeliac and thyroidism but generally i think the longer we are on these potent drugs it's hit or miss what happens and weighing up the pros and cons.

im happy with any side effect as long as i avoid methatroxate as long as i can two years of that was worse than the Humera itching and swelling. it was so bad i went cold turkey - not advisable medically but i was at my witts end lol

i hope your appointment goes well and you get a change. dont be disheartened if it takes a few weeks and then a few weeks to get used to the new stuff 😃 sends you hugs xxx

• Posted

I have been on Remicade for ~ 20 years and I tolerate it very well.

Changed dosages/frequencies a few times but that is it.

rhume said that Remicade is best treatment for AS

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.