Humira next. Advice and your thoughts please

Posted , 5 users are following.

diagnosed with Crohns 16 months ago. Steroids quickly brought acute symptoms under control but took Azathioprine after steroids finished, well for 2 weeks any way.

Could not tolerate Aza and went onto 6-Mercaptopurine for a fairly incident free 8 months. However pancreatitis and high LTP mean I've had to discontinue them.

I am due to start Humira in next week or so and would appreciate your experiences and observations.

Best regards 

Pete W

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Peter,

I've been on Humira and Tioguanine for a year now. So far so good. No side effects apart from occasional cold and tiredness. Very happy I can tolerate it as methoraxate made me really sick and aza gave me pancreatitis. Best of luck with Humira!

• Posted

I wonder why your doc did not give you Pentasa? People have it and get well on it but I did not. I have fever after that and chest pain. It said in my document which my doc gave me it is more side effect. I think better I use charcoal when it comes to flare symptoms.
  • Posted

Hi Peter, I have been Humria injections for 4 months. I have common side effect, headaches and mood swings.
    • Posted

Has it controlled the Chrohn's symptoms?

How long did it take you to get used to the injections? (Assuming that you self inject)

• Posted

Hi Pete, yes the flare up. I just had too get used to taking the injections, see if I helps.
  • Posted

I started Humira in February after having side effects with methotrexate. The injections take a bit of getting used to and sting a lot, but I don't really think about it anymore. It just comes part of the routine. Have had 1 infection a couple of months after starting but otherwise have been fine. Crohns symptoms are now starting to improve as trips to the loo are less frequent which is good. Seems to make me bloat a little but I'm hopeful that overall it making a positive impact. Just got to make sure you keep up-to-date with your monitoring blood tests to check all is well.

Good luck and I hope it works well for you.

Tracey

• Posted

Thanks Tracey

I had my "training" yesterday and first 4 injections.which went well.

I hope to see some improvement. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.