humira side effect

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone had any problem with chest pain or heart palpitations while on Humira?   I also have had a problem with my blood glucose being higher than  normal.   My husband is a diabetic so I have checked my blood sugar and it is quite elevated at times.   My halter monitor that I wore for 48 hrs showed no problems.   I did call the doctor today again and said I am very concerned about taking Humira now.   MTX made me very sick and I couldn't continue.   Humira is still in my system but once it has cleared I am sure the RA pains will be intense.  I also have Crohns and humira is a drug for both conditions so it is discouraging that I am having this problem.    Anyone else have cardiac issues while on a biologic?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I too have had issues with several biologic drugs. I have had allergic reactions swelling of lips and face with Orencia, and Cimzia. I now am dealing with blood pressure issues following use of Remicade, my blood pressure fluxuates and my cardiologist has had difficulty getting it under control.I am also dealing with feeling sick now that I am on Methotrexate.We continue to look for the right medicine that will work .
    • Posted

Thanks for your response, Cheryl.   It really stinks doesn't it?  Can't find a med that works.  I begin to think that I am 'falling apart'     Doc did suggest Remicade as next choice of a drug but I told her I would rather try another biologic shot before I go to an IV med.    Are you only on MTX now?   

• Posted

Gloria, 

I am only on methotrexate right now. Dr. wants me to try Remicade again this week. I am running out of options for medicines, and I am not sure what is the best choice at this time. I am getting chest discomfort and discomfort in my head from the methotrexate, Medicines that work for one person does not work the same for another. We just have to continue trying to find the best fit for each of us.I hope you find  the drug that helps.

• Posted

Hi Gloria, I took Humira and it altered the adrenal gland functioning. I had diabetes like sympthoms although sugar was normal which gradually dissapeared after I stopped taking it. Liver ensimes were bad too. I stopped it by my initiative, although my Drs told me to continue and side effects dissapeared. The pain did come back and it was the worst RA related pain that I felt for my entire life. It became better after few months, though, during which I didn't take anything letting body to clear up from Humira. Sorry that I could not reassure you that this is not Humira related. Everybody reacts differently. Hope that you will find what works for you!

• Posted

thanks for your input on your experience with Humira.     Do you take any RA meds now?  My pain is definitely coming back.   All blood tests came back normal but testing blood sugar at home --quite high at times

I have 3 autoimmune disease so I start to think now here comes another--   but hopefully it is just the drug adverse effect

• Posted

I tried Enbrel with unbearable side effects and now is off any RA related meds. Good luck with self diagnosis. I believe that all that's happening is related. So if you have 3 AI things going on, they all boil down to autoimmune disbalance, that's for sure. The tricky part is to find out how these are related...

• Posted

I have a feeling that if I can't tolerate one biologic then that will be the case with all of them but I have to try one or 2 more.   yes, I do have a book on autoimmune connection and I know they are related.   My belief is that it has to do with genes, environmental factors.  Some stressors that activates the various conditions.  But trying to take one day at a time

May have no choice but go back to MTX--made me so sick though

• Posted

What book do you have if I may ask? As for stress factors, yes definitely. It triggers things as well as traumas such as injuries, pregnancy and suchlike. But I think that Drs believe in this less than patients, hence the current state of things, unfortunately... Good luck!
    • Posted

I have a book titled the Autoimmune Connection by Rita Baron-Faust and Jill Buyon, MD.     

Also have the book " LIving with Rheumatoid Arthritis"

Have not looked at them in awhile but I found them to be very informative after I was first diagnosed.   Just pulled them off the shelf again to read thru some of the info that I may have forgotten.  Good luck to you too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.