Humira stopped working

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm 28 and have chron's disease. I have been on humira for 2 years which had worked well. The past few months, however, I have been suffering from a debilitating flair up. My Dr upped my dosage but it hasn't made a difference and am now back on steroids. I was wondering if anyone else had expereinced this with humira? And if anyone had had success with any alternative medications? Thanks. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hey Susannah,

I'm exactly the same age as you smile I've only started Humira. If you don't mind me asking: How did you find it? Did you have any bad side effects? My doctor told me that the alternative to immunosuppressants is anti-map teratment. so you can ask your doctor about that hope it goes well for you

• Posted

Hi Justyna,

good to hear from you! thanks for the advise, I hadn't heard of ant-map tretaments so I'll ask my Dr about that. When did you get diagnosed with chron's disease? Had you been on any other medication previously? 

I found Humira really good. I had 2 years in remission with hardly any side effects. The only think I noticed was getting colds slightly more than usual!! Good luck on the humira, it really was the best treatment for me.

Good luck with the humira! 

• Posted

I'm glad Humira worked well for you. Did you take any other  immunosuppressants with it? I'm currenlty on combination of Humira + Thioguanine. I was diagnosed when I was 14 so long time ago smile They put me on Pentsa for about 10 years but it didn't do much so later I was put azathioprine and then methotrexate but i couldn't tolerate any of them. Anti-map treatment is not that popular in the uk but yeah deffo worth talking to your doc about it  smile
    • Posted

Hi Justyna, I couldn't tolerate azathioprine or methotexate either which is how I ended up on humira. I'm not on any other immunosuppressants at the moment, I've taken note to research the Thioguanine! Best of luck with the humira. 
  • Posted

Hi Susannah, I have crohns and I am 41 years old. I haven't been on humira, I'm on Azathioprine  for my flare up, hasn't work yet. Good luck 
    • Posted

Hi Stephaney,

Thanks for your message. Good luck with the Azathioprine. I hope it starts to work for you soon!

• Posted

Hi Susannah, I have the hospitail on 23rd of this month for a follow up appoint to see how I'm getting in with the tablets. I hope you find meds that work for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.