Hunger Hunger HUNGER HUNGER!!!!!!! [ Mirtazapine Hell Withdrawal ]

Posted , 7 users are following.

Have any of you felt this CRAZY hunger on tapering and the complete withdrawal of Mirtazapine?

I beg you to please reply. I am losing my mind...spinning different possibilities - from having cancer to losing my grip on reality. What is wrong with me?? 

I need to know I'm not the only one. I don't know for how long I can keep on bearing this feeling of extreme hunger 24/7.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I wish I could tell you this will stop soon. I am reducing too. I’m on 7.5 and can’t stop eating either. I am not fighting it. Apparently the hunger goes when the pills stop. I am looking forward to that. So you are not alone. 
  • Posted

i couldn't stop eating when i started on them for months i was so hungry all the time

• Posted

Hi mirtazapine can make you feel extremely hungry even coming off them that's why I went back

on them cos I'd

gone sò thin xxxx

• Posted

Guys, I've been searching reading studies non-stop on this issue. I've finally found why it happens:

HYPOGLYCEMIA

The theory is this: Mirtazapine increases Blood Sugar levels and hence tampers with the Pancreas' ability to produce Insulin. (that's one of the reason why we put so much weight on this drug.)

Now, when we start tapering off, this falsely increased Blood Sugar levels start to flactuate. The more we remove this drug from our body, the more our Blood Sugar de-stabilize UNTIL our Pancreas can learn once again to produce Insulin and manage Blood Sugar levels on its own. 

• Posted

And it did I couldn't even put food to my mouth without wanting to throw up but I started feeling hungry and gradually started to eat.once I was eating properly they stopped but my appetite stayed the same that was years ago though

• Posted

Hi well that makes sense I could never understand why years ago and I couldn't eat I was in hospital they gave me injections they said it was to to do with blood sugar so I think that could be what is in mirtazapine like you said

• Posted

I stopped Mirtazapine cold turkey (45mg) 9 days ago. I have a list of about 50 negative things that are happening to me. From head to toe. The worst is the hunger, ringing in ears, dry mouth, sweating, dizziness and irritability. I think it has been a little better each day but I really feel as if I have been poisoned which I guess I have been. I will be sure to tell every health care PROFESSIONAL that this stuff should NEVER be prescribed.....EVER. There must be an alternative. I have never felt this terrible in my life. I hope the hunger subsides and I will keep you posted.
    • Posted

My dear the problem is there is no better alternative. I have been on these meds. for the last 20 years, have tried the Trycyclic group, SSRI, SNRIs and they all have their own side effects. Presently, I am on 15mg Mirtz. since Aug 2017 and it has helped to cope with my severe depression. Yes, it does have many side effects, mentioned in this thread, but it did not cause me heartburn to a level that most SSRIs did and I had to stop them. I do not want to take PPI ( Omeprazole etc.). In my experience we have no other choice but to manage these meds. to our best ability by modifying our eating routine and what we eat. I have seen many Psychiatrist and have come to conclusion- " there is no wonder cure" that we expect. Mental illness will remain a challenge and dilemma for health pros. and the sufferers. I would wish you the very best in your quest to stop MIRT.In my experience stopping "cold turkey"  may not be a good idea. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I unfortunately did not find this forum until after I had stopped and I don't want to go back now. I honestly don't know if I am suffering the effects of MIRT or the withdrawal, probably both. I go to bed each night hoping that tomorrow will be better and I still hold out that hope. I do realize that everyone has different symptoms. I just hope tomorrow is a better day.

• Posted

Today is day 12 off Mirtazapine. I seem to feel better in the mornings, not very hungry, not as dizzy, mouth not as dry. Unfortunately the pattern has been the same since I stopped but side effects seem to be a little less. I am not great in the morning and as the day progresses, so do the symptoms. I have been up since 630am and it is now almost 10am and symptoms are just okay. On the topic of AD meds, I was on Clonazepam, Ability, Pristiq and Lorazepam (mid level dosages) for a number of years and never had any noticeable side effects. I was also on Divalproex. I really did not pay as much attention as I should have when Mirtazapine was introduced and all of the others except Lorazepam and Divalproex were stopped. For me, the combination that I was on, seemed to help with PTSD and depression. Thinking about it now I realize that the Mirtazapine did not seem to make me feel better than the first combination, just about the same. So for me...Mirtazapine just made things worse. I still have hope that tomorrow will be better and that others find they are progressing in their efforts to feel better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.