Hunger in the night got worse

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I have been on 45mg Mirtazapine for four years and am reducing the dosage to come off it.

The initial severe insomnia stopped after a few days, but I'm waking up three times in the night to eat as I'm ravenous and feel sick if I ignore it.

Everything I've read indicates people eat more on the drug, not off it.

Had anyone else had this, and does it pass?

Thank you.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I have been on 15 mg for 6 months and have not experienced any hunger attacks! Did take 30 mg for about 3 months and  major side effect was a strange kind of dizziness ( Spiral). Thus decided to reduce to 15 on gradual basis- a reduction of 3.5mg  a time. You may try some exercise and eating small portions. Also some oats cereal last thing at night. This regime may help overcome hunger urge. I also do some yoga and deep breathing to combat any side effects to cope with withdrawl  when needed. Good Luck
    • Posted

How long did you hold each drop of 3.5 ? Did you have many withdrawals ?
    • Posted

I did one night with nothing which was a bad idea, so I cut 45 in half for the week. I'm going to go up to 30 tonight as got a new packet of them to see if that helps and go slower

• Posted

Hi

I use oats and avoid sugar or products with sugar as far as possible. I'm not worried about say bread or soft cheese containing sugar or fruit but avoid the obvious stuff.

I'm going to try going up to 30 (was taking half a 45) to taper more slowly.

• Posted

I am tapering down slowely from 45mg.

What symptoms have you had other than the hunger thing ?

• Posted

That's why I came off them I can't afford to put on any more weight I came off them by myself and didn't tell my doctor but need to tell psychiatrist soon as I need more medication soon

• Posted

Hi Anthony,

I am like that when I take my Mirtazapine.  After about half an hour I am ravenous and HAVE to eat.  I don't feel hungry in the night because I have sleeping meds.  I have gained quite a lot of weight.  I see my GP tomorrow and going to talk about coming of them

Good luck

• Posted

I am seeing my consultant this afternoon as I am eating so much and am worried my bulimia will return..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.