Hurting, Tired, Sore

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi,

I am a 51 year old male and have had "PMR" for over 3 years. It got so bad I almost ended up in a wheelchair before they figured it out. I was able to get down to 3mg of pred but then the flare ups started and I have never been able to get full relief. My pain is the same all day long where I have read and heard that most PMR patients are sore in the morning and gets better as the day goes on. My blood inflamtion markers where the highest my doctor has seen. Mostly in my shoulder, wrists and lower back. I am suffering and don't know what to do. Daily task sometimes are a problem. It is hard because I don't think people understand how much pain I am in all the time. I can't take this anymore. Any advice, therapies, medications besides pred that you may have found relief with????

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You don't mention what dose of pred you are currently on.  When I had flares I had to jump right back up to 20 mg .  This worked for me..pain went away.  Then after 2 weeks I began reducing.  20 mg for 2 weeks then 15 mg for 2-3 weeks then 10 mg for 1 month then dropped by 1 mg a month.  I'm on 8 mg now and will now go even slower by 1/2 mg a month.  I do this by alternating days i.e. 8 , 7 , 8, 7, 8 ,7 for one month then drop to 7 mg for a month then 6 ,7,6,7 etc

hopenthis helps!

nancy

• Posted

Hi,

I was on 5mg for a long time and was working ok...then the flareup started. I pushed myself up to 10mg...should I go to 20?

I have been trying "Blue Emu" lotion for my joints and "Tens" therapy (electronic muscle massage)...still no relief. 

• Posted

The 'rule of thumb ' is go up to whatever amount takes the pain away.  So I would go to 20.  In my experience ..over the last 3 years..you can't reduce too fast...also any cortisone injections you get interfere with the reduction because cortisone is also a steroid and your body adjusts to a higher dose when you get the injections then when it wears off it feels like you reduced to fast and there is a flare..I found this out the hard way 2 years ago.   I tried methotrexate along with the pred 2 years ago, I was so sick I only stayed on it for 2 weeks.   Methotrexate doesn't work for me.   Tens therapy is a temporary fix at best.  I found that pred is the only thing that works.  As I said, I'm on 8mg now and feel great.  But I will continue to taper extremely slow

• Posted

You did not say if you are under a rheumatologist .I was referred age45.After several flares and a bad reaction to steroids they were stopped.Am now on methotrexate injections which keep pain to a bearable level.At night take amitryptiline 10mg three hours before bed then two paracetamol and a slow release tramadol 50mg (all on prescription)and this enables me to sleep without pain waking me on moving in bed.Everyone is different-hope you find something that works for you
    • Posted

Hi,

Yes under a rheumatologist. I am switching my primary care to another primary care doctor with a rheumatology background hoping he can help.

I am just so tired of being in pain. How is the methotrexate? I did have cortize injections in one of my shoulders 6 months ago and it worked well. I would be a pin cushion if they were to gve me injections in every joint that hurts.

• Posted

The tablets did not agree with me as I have oesophagitis but touch wood injection is fine (I take 5mg folic acid every day except injection day-do injection myself)You have to have regular blood tests to pick up side effects.My LFT's have been off a couple of times but touch wood 17.5mg/week seems to keep me relatively pain free and my liver happy (famous last words).If you like alcohol methotrexate may not be drug of choice but I do not drink so no problem for me?

• Posted

Hi Gillian, amitrypteline, paracetamol and tramadol are pretty useless for PMR but may help sleep and sort out a lot of other aches and pains. Unfortunately steroids are the answer for PMR. Tramadol is an opiod and you should be careful not to take it long term if you can help it. 
    • Posted

Thanks Ptolemy,the reason am not on steroids is because of side effects.The amitryptiline is for associated nerve pain and tramadol is very low dose as because of kidney issues am not allowed any NSAID's so only option was stuff to make brain think not in pain.Methotrexate reduces the inflammation to acceptable levels to enable me to function?

• Posted

Hi Gillian, the drugs you are taking are powerful ones so they should help with the symptoms you mention. It is just that some doctors do not realise they do not help PMR. 
  • Posted

Sorry Dan - not really any options for PMR itself. I have used Bowen therapy, it kept me upright during the 5 years I didn't have pred at all. Didn't help the pain though. My osteopath helped too. I also have myofascial pain syndrome - keeping that under control allows me to manage on a lower dose of pred. Wet and dry needling and steroid injections into the trigger points in the shoulders and low back made a major difference. Manual mobilisation techniques for MPS have also been fantastic.

However - if you have a proper flare - and it sounds as if you do - then your only real option is to go back to 20mg and see if that works. If it does, you COULD assume it is PMR and get on then with a taper. I had been down to below 5mg about 18 months ago and was fine - and out of the blue I had a flare, different from the start. From one day to the next I couldn't walk up the gentle slope into the village without gasping for breath. The usual PMR stuff didn't arrive for nearly 3 weeks. Having ruled out everything else that seemed reasonable, we assumed it was GCA affecting the thoracic arteries - and 15mg of pred did the trick. Since last February I have tapered back to 7mg - but was stuck at above 13mg until the early summer and got to 10mg in the autumn, 8mg by xmas.

If I were you I would go back to 20mg and see if that works. Once the symptoms have subsided, drop relatively quickly to 17.5, then 15mg. If it doesn't work pretty well - ask for more investigations. Just in case you have something else. 

And no - many patients have pain and stiffness all day. Some doctors then come up with the daft idea that means it isn't PMR! 

You say you have pain all day long - is it worse at night? Between midnight and 3am say? Just wondering.

• Posted

I doubt that the tens unit will help much because this disease is caused by inflammation which makes the muscles hurt. I know a few people have mentioned methotrexate and that might be what you need from your doctor. My own personal experience was that it didn't help me but it does help some people. It is possible to that your pain is not all from PMR. Has your doctor tested you for rheumatoid arthritis? I ask this because you're complaining of pain in the joints and typically PMR pain isn't specifically in the joints but rather in the muscles. I would absolutely consider seeing another doctor. I don't know that you need to see a GP with rheumatology background but certainly rheumatology knowledge is important. And I think the more you're on this site the more you learn. I certainly have. Good luck with this I hope you get the help you need.

• Posted

Sadly, pretty much every one of my joints is involved (not spinal)... Just one of those unlucky people... All the RA tests were negative and PMR was confirmed.
    • Posted

PMR doesn't really involve joints - it is muscles and tenosynovitis. Perhaps a second opinion? Negative RA doesn't mean  you don't have an inflammatory arthritis. And PMR is a clinical diagnosis - there is no way of "confirming" it, there is no definitive test. If only there was!

• Posted

I have reduced my Pred dosage from 20mg to 7.5mg.  At around 12.5 or 10, I realized that I can minimize pain if I also take 800mg of Ibuprofen at least once per day.   You might try 800mg three times a day for a few days and see how you feel - assuming that you are not already doing so.
    • Posted

Be very careful taking NSAIDs alongside pred - both can cause gastric irritation on their own and putting them together increases the risk. One lady who was not yet on pred took 3 doses of ibuprofen as she was told to do by her GP for her PMR (it did no good at all) and ended up in the ER with a gastric bleed. For most people the odd dose probably won't hurt but regular use adds to the risk.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.