Hurts!!! 6 more weeks of NWB

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my post op this past Tues. 14 stitches were removed. I now have 6 more weeks of nwb!! My ankle hurts so much. I can't get comfortable. 8 screws and a metal plate on my Fibula and Tibia on the outside. It's below my ankle on the inside that hurts. It's difficult to get the full effect of ice through an air cast. My hips hurt from sitting/laying funny. I've also sprained the muscles/ligament between the fibula and tibia.

I get up every hour per Dr instructions.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get comfortable? This hurts.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michele, 

I'm so sorry for your pain. The only advice I can give you is to keep ahead of the pain meds and keep icing/ elevating above the heart.  Do what the doc says.. its good to move it and keep things circulating.   You are not cracking up either, every thing does start to hurt from the sitting/laying. 

I'm sorry I don't have a heap of advice to give you. sad 

Good luck!

Rose

• Posted

Make sure to elevate both legs, not just the injured one, even if you can't get them to the exact same height. I find it helps me get comfortable and limits hip and knee pain

• Posted

Amanda, thanks! No one has said anything about elevating both legs. It does make sense since I am putting more weight on one side. I'm going to try elevating them both now. Thanks again.

• Posted

I don't know where you are post op (how many days) but I had the same pain in the same place from the 1st day after surgery. I'm now 4 weeks since surgery, I'd say that pain got a lot better about a week ago. Its still uncomfortable if I've been up on the crutches for   the afternoon but it will get better!

• Posted

Are you not allowed to remove the air cast at all? I was allowed to remove it to ice it and perform NWB ankle exercises three times per day. I had a much less serious injury (Weber A fibula fracture), but I understood that ankles mended with ORIF are actually more stable than the ones that are left to heal on their own without surgery. Maybe you can see if the doctor will allow you to ice and elevate out of the boot (maybe not right away, but I would think they would permit before the end of the 6 weeks... I would ask if I were you... can't hurt wink ).

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.