Husband 26 Father died young of AAA

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm worried sick. My husband is 26. I know hes still very young. His dad died at 46 of an AAA. All his dad's brothers have died of an AAA Apart from 2 but one had a heart attack was in a coma and survived and the other one has an AAA but is refusing g the operation because he might die. My husband is refusing to go to the doctors because he is so young but I just feel that it's a waiting game and I'm getting upset.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Men over 55 are now called for screening. With your husband’s family history they would probably keep an eye on him now and screen him every few years and check his BP and cholesterol. They would also give him dietary and lifestyle advice. Most important one is not to smoke.  
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I managed to get him to the doctors last year and they just turned around and said he was too young. I do understand that he's young now but at least they could do is to double check things. I will get an appointment booked in as soon as possible
    • Posted

Sadly many doctors are like that. I come from families who have been decimated with colon cancer. We should all be checked but mention it and doctors say 'Why'  
  • Posted

Hi Tracy,

My grandfather died of an abdominal aortic aneurism at 72 , his brother did as well. Their mom had one and survived it in her 70's. My mother had a thoracic aortic aneurism at 55 which she did not survive. I had a thoracic aortic aneurism at 41 which ruptured and killed me a couple times. The doctors don't know how I survived because I was dead for so long. I shouldn't be here, the rupture destroyed my aorta and the valve at the top of my heart. Because I was dead so long I have horrible pain in my limbs. I also had some brain damage as well. If were you I would force him to go to a doctor. It could be a ticking time bomb. I never thought something could hurt me like this has. It took a couple months before I could walk without a walker. It took a year before I could walk without a cane. I am healthy now I guess. But be careful. Let me know if I can answer answer any questions.

• Posted

I have an appointment with a doctor tomorrow. I spoke with his mother and she named 13 people that had died in his family of AAA most smoked. My hubby is very sporty doesn't smoke and dont really drink, I'm hoping after I explain to the doctor I want a scan for my hubby once a year and the family history. 13 people dying of heart disease is just ridiculous and hopefully enough to make a doctor Do something!
    • Posted

They will not do once a year scan until the aorta has swollen to a certain size. A pivate ultrasound scan does not cost much.

Is your husband going to the appointment tomorrow? Doctors will not normally discuss another persons health problem  even with a spouse in this data protected age.

• Posted

But my worry is what if it swells to a certain size and it's too late. Hes not going to this one I'm going on my own to explain how worried Its making me (I'm 22 weeks pregnant) my hubby Is at work but will attend the next one to discuss options.
    • Posted

Yeah make them listen. I get my two sons checked annually as well. They are 22, and 16. Where do you live? I live in El Paso Texas and it's really easy to get the scans done here.
    • Posted

There is no known way to stop it from growing. All they do is monitor it until the danger of leaving it is greater than the risk of surgery as it is a dangerous operation.

Once you know you have an AA you need to declare it if taking out any personal insurance.

Travel insurers do not want to know you no matter how small it is. To them size does not matter. I was once quouted £2000 for a month in America. I said how about Cuba and they said £1000. I then used a company who excluded it from the policy.  When I said this to the technichian who did my next scan she laughed and said if it burst it would only cost them for the ambulance to take your body to the mortuary. Sorry for the Black Humour. The good news is that most grow very slowly like mine and some never go beyond a certain size. I'm always pleased when they welcome me with "Here's the man with the small one"     

• Posted

My husband has a thoracic aortic aneurysm. He went into the hospital and before they could even operate, he was in acute respiratory distress. He developed severe pneumonia, ketoacidosis, and became septic. He has survived through all that. He has been in ICU for 22 days now. He is 53 years old, he has type 2 diabetes. Now, he is about to be moved to a regular room. A doctor mentioned that since he's doing well right now, he may have the surgery after some rehab. This is scary, and I still don't have a date to as to when the surgery will take place! Just want to know if you have an opinion on this. Or anyone else experience something like this. I'm happy for your life, and it sounds like you are thriving now.
    • Posted

Hi, sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I'm from England. Thats great that you get them checked, thats my main question with him only being 27 I don't want them fobbing us off.

• Posted

Dont take no for an answer, remind them they have a duty of care to you and your husband, just because he is young, it makes no difference, a Triple A can kill anyone at any age, insist on a scan, if they refuse, its back to the GP and get him/her to insist on this scan, the GP is the only one that can really push it

I am in the UK as well, my GP is very good and she makes sure I have regular check ups (I died twice from Cerebral Malaria, once in Ghana, once in the UK)

If my GP hasnt seen me for a month she arrangs for me to come see her, just to find out if I am okay, I wouldnt mind but I am only 65

Be good to find out how you get on

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.