Husband diagnosed with thrombosis whilst abroad.

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husband banged his calf, catching a prominent varicose vein last week. Saw his GP who sent him home with ibuprofen gel. I could see the inflammation progressing up his leg and was worried about infection. However, husband insisted he should make his business trip to Milan via Frankfurt today. Got to Frankfurt and leg was painful to stand on. I insisted he stop his trip and get medical attention. He did and is now in hospital with a thrombosis diagnosed. Not a deep vein but a clot is a clot, right? Can't fly for at least 2-3 days, on antibiotics, bandaged leg, must sleep upright etc

Been told he will now be on blood thinners for life and flight socks essential but should make a full recovery. I think this is a wake up call to some pretty serious lifestyle changes. Regular exercise being one. Can you tell me what sort of exercise is recommended after a thrombosis? I want to help my husband as much as I can to make suitable sensible changes.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My first visit to the hospital they told me mine was a minor clot in a minor vein and gave me antibiotics so it didnt get infected, said it woud be fine just be painful for a short while, how wrong they were! I ended up with one of the biggest deep vein clots Stoke Mandeville had ever seen. I walked from as soon as i was literally able to drag my leg about, I was not allowed to leave hospital until I had walked the length of the corridor. At home I walked around the house when I could with my leg up if i was not walking (walking or leg up is the rule, no standing), within a few weeks I was going for walks and now most days I do a brisk 7 miles almost every day. Brisk walking is the best exercise for your leg and heart and it keeps my weight down.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. German Dr has now discovered 3 clots - ankle, calf and thigh. He is having a chest and abdominal scan today and they are hopeful he can fly home by weekend. However, I want him seen as soon as possible here. Went to our GP this morning to make provisional appointment on the basis he is discharged tomorrow. No. Earliest is Tuesday but we can ring for an emergency appointment on the day. Well this is pretty serious isn't so why can't they book him in now? To which the reply was "well he's being treated isn't he?" All sorts I wanted to say at that moment but left and cried in the car.

• Posted

I hope he is home soon, of course you wont rest until he is, I would be the same but really there is no treatment, the blood thinners are given to prevent more clots forming, the ones he has cant be treated they just break down and are absorbed into the system your doctor wont be able to do more. I was in hospital because mine was so large, it was from behind the knee, up back of thigh, round and through the groin and across the abdomen. The important thing now is that he gets the proper after clot treatment, like an elastic stocking when its prescribed, always keeps his leg up if sitting and no standing and exercises when able.

• Posted

I agree. Mine happened 3 months ago on a trip to Ecuador. Didn't get treated until the day I arrived back in the states. Dr prescribed blood thinners and said see me in three months. They did a scan of my leg, found two clots in my calf. Told me the body would take care of the clots over time, and stay on thinners to prevent more from forming. The compression socks are to help blood return, and mostly to prevent varicose veins from forming. The Dr should be doing a blood test to see if this condition is hereditary or not.

The Doctor placed no restrictions on me as far as exercise or activities. I had my own restrictions, because I was worried about an accident on blood thinners.

In my case, I have just stopped taking the Pradaxa as of last Friday, will likely take an aspirin a day for life. I get blood work done Friday, and meet with hematologist a week later. Hopefully he doesn't see a reason for me to continue the thinners.

Wishing a speedy recovery to your husband.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.