Husband diagnosed with vascular dementia 2yrs ago now bad mobility

Posted , 2 users are following.

My OH has had vascular dementia and ? mixed dementia for just over 2 years, he hasn't been too bad in himself really just difficulty being able to  work things out and not being able to make choices or make devisions,  at times he's been very quick witted, like quiz shows. I have seen a big change the last coup.e of months though with his mobility and speech and not sure if it's his dementia or something else, his GP doesn't seem very bother.  He is now having great difficulty with getting about, walking and getting very tired. We used to be big walkers going for long walks but now he can only walk couple of yards and he's wobbly and .oses his balance even though he now uses a walking stick he leans on me for support and he's had a few falls when it's been hard to get him up, even indoors the last few days he's been very unsteady on his feet, he walks very very slowly, also at times his speech is a bit slurred not all the time but now and then, he also gets very tired a lot of the time. Can someone tell me if this is a progression  of the VD. He has had heart scan as the GP thought he might have heart failure  but that was all OK. It's mainly his inability to walk very far and not getting about the house or out of a chair very well that's the main worry.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Did he experience difficulty in breathing every time you go for a walk?
    • Posted

I always ask him how he actually feels when he can't walk any further, he doesn't really seem to know just says he's very tired. It's like his legs just don't want to work. We used go for really long walks up to a year ago at least 5 miles at times. His balance seems to have gone, if he does fall I have a lot of troube getting him up. His GP thought it could be heart failure but all the tests came back clear, which is why I'm thinking is it his vascular dementia getting worse. He shuffles along VERY VERY slowly and hangs onto me as well as having a walking stick

• Posted

Does he rely on you all the time when he does things like eating or dressing? If so then I think he is in the late stage of dementia where he becomes more frail and can also experience extreme memory loss as well as problems in communicating.
    • Posted

No, he's OK getting dressed just gets his buttons mixed up sometimes, I don't think he's in late stages yet hopefully he's not he was diagnosed just over 2 years ago, his speech gets slurred at times mainly when he's tired I think. We've been out to town today and as long as he's got his stick and me on other side he can walk short distance VERY SLOWLY but stops a lot to rest when ever there is a seat or wall to lean on.

Different tests have been done on heartall ok so I think it's the VD but Dr''s haven't said this.

could he be in middle stage I'm not sure of all these stages, he sleeps in armchair quite a lot now as well. Very difficult to ask him questions like what he would like for breakfast and I've only just noticed his handwriting

is getting scrawly difficult to read at times. But strangy his memory is not really that bad, he forgets some things Ive told him but remembers things that surprise me and quiz shows on TV he sometimes knows stuff that I don't. He's been trying to put some shelves together for a week but really having trouble with it but he's trying to persevere with it but think I will have to get some help soon. Thank you for you help

• Posted

Well, glad to know that Stella. Yes maybe he's in the middle stage of dementia. At least he does not rely on you at all times and can still do some basic activities as you explained. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.