Husband drinks 200 units per week

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've lost nearly a Stone in weight. And I have had an unhealthy relationship with alcohol in the past so have been trying to get it to a healthy 14 Units or under. I've had therapy.

Which has helped

I'm doing well but calculating my husband units. I was shocked to find that he is actually drinking 200 units a week we are 67 .

I'm very worried for our/ his health. He has got high blood pressure and takes statin His mother had the same and took statins live to be 95. she wasn't a heavy drinker, but reading all about it. I'm just so worried that he's gonna die prematurely if he dosnt cut down . Can People take alcohol in this amount for 40 years and not have ill effect ?

He never gets drunk. He's not overweight sometimes he forgets because he has had a few drinks. But he gets up in the morning. He does far more than I do...his blood tests regulary never show anything wrong with his liver

or kidneys or heart or colon

My sister died of pancreatic cancer at 60 and she was a heavy drinker, and I'm just worried that he should really cut down too , im scared to mention it as he hate s me telling him what to do.

any advice out there Please? Kind regards lynda. and a healthy happy NY

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Edited

Only a physical with a doctor will be able to determine the current state of his health. However, having said that, alcohol is a toxin so if it hasn't caused damage so far, that is not to say it won't do in the future.

If he is interested in cutting down, but not necessarily stopping right now, then it might be an idea to watch the One Little Pill documentary - available on Amazon Prime.

It explains a treatment that isn't immediate abstinence, but rather helps to rewire the pathways in his brain so that alcohol isn't as rewarding to him anymore. The medicine required for this treatment is non-addictive and only taken 1-2 hours prior to alcohol. So, as he drinks less and less often, then the pills last much longer.

The medical term for the treatment is Pharmacological Extinction but for us non-medical types, it tends to be referred to as The Sinclair Method after the doctor who discovered that if alcohol is less rewarding in terms of the chemical rush in someone's brain, then the need to drink reduces and is eventually completely extinguished.

• Posted

I know how AUD affects everyone in the family and friends who love and cares . Professional help is a must with this disease.

It’s difficult to find treatment for AUD and it is considered a disease and must be treated to re-establish a healthy immune system and many other illness factors associated with AUD . Alcohol hijacks the brain once it sets a pattern of addiction.

I lost many family members to this disease. AUD is like a tsunami that rushes in and affects everyone in the family who fall victim to this disease and all those who love them. When I lost my son to this disease I thought I would die. I cannot ever get over his death and I blame myself for not doing enough to help him. It’s not easy for anyone to find the answers . The alcohol changes the character of the person, affects the brain and body in so many horrific and heart breaking ways. I wish there was something I could say to change the effects of this horrible addiction has on your family. All I can do is offer you my experience and let you know many care and love you and your DH very much and would do anything to help you get thru this difficult situation. Plz seek professional help .

• Posted

Hello Lvj, Seek help for certain and 200 units weekly is deeply shocking and more than i have ever come across and i have been on this forum discussion for 10 years+.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.