Husband getting sick after cm1 surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I’m hoping for some advice. My husband had the surgery for chari malformation. He was doing fine, feeling quite nauseas and sick, but nothing that couldn’t be handled with anti sickness tablets and some food.

He’s afraid of being sick, and it seems the anti sickness tablets have stopped working, he’s afraid to eat or even take his pain medicine because he might be sick, and when he gives in and takes his pain stuff he throws it back up because there’s nothing in his stomach.

I’ve tried talking to him about eating more, to try and help but am accused of bullying him and being mean by both him and his mother (who is currently at our house constantly to look after him because he calls for her every time he throws up).

I don’t know what to try, his dr just changed the sickness tablets but that hasn’t worked and he hasn’t eaten anything substantial for two days without throwing it up.

Any tips or thoughts that might help. I’m at the end of my tether with both of them!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

When I had neck surgery I did the same thing... it’s not easy throwing up when you been operated on and throwing up on top of it. I had the dr change my pain meds some people are more sensative to certain meds. I can NOT take PERCOSET. Has he tried some Imodium? I just went through a bad time coming off my pain meds and if not for that and pedialite I may not have got to the end... not sure if I’m there. Best of luck to you and him as well!! 
  • Posted

I don’t have an answer for what meds he should take or avoid, but all I can speak towards is how horrible he must be feeling. The pain if this condition is terrible, let alone the pain from the surgery is even worse. Then if he can’t hold anything down in his stomach, and he is taking meds that makes you feel even worse...then vomiting on top of all that is an utter nightmare. The pain I felt after my surgery was earful, and I prayed to god I wouldn’t get sick and I am extremely grateful I did not ever get sick and throw up with this surgery. If I was throwing up, I would be calling for my mother as well and I am a 33 year old man married man who can tolerate pain. It won’t last forever, he will get through it but he needs help and comfort for sure. You’re not a bully either, you’re only trying to help him. Hopefully, things will calm down for all of you soon as he recovers.
  • Posted

he may be suffering from the Anastasia, it has been know to be prolonged side effect.

Also has he been checked for Diabetes or low blood sugar, these 2 can make you feel this way. My blood sugar was all over the place the 1st yr out of surgery.

Also it really sounds like Anxiety..... my son has it and the worrying about being sick is called anxiety and it causes upset stomach, loss of appetite, and the vomiting is definitely his anxiety. And make sure he is exercising. it is very important to exercise during the healing process.

hope this helps.......but please address the anxiety to avoid other is that rise up from having anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.